FPImposer doesn't impose Tumble Duplex correctly

rogerjsmccarthy.com

Hi All,

either I'm missing something or FPImposer has a bug. My problem is that Tumble Duplex doesn't put the items on the back in the right location. let me explain...

2 sided 8.5 x 5.5 postcard with variable data on both sides, printing on HP/Indigo 5500 on 12x18 paper with duplex on. intention is to print these 2 across and 2 down on the sheet. My problem is best illustrated by the first attachment where if we say Front is okay, page 1 on the back should be where 4 back is. (and 2 back should be where 3 back is...)

second attachment is imposed result of a quickie document showing how names aren't in the right location for when sheet is tumbled.

what gives?

Roger

FPImposerScreenSnapz001.pdf

fake database· names-Output.pdf

either I'm missing something or FPImposer has a bug. My problem is that Tumble Duplex doesn't put the items on the back in the right location. let me explain...

2 sided 8.5 x 5.5 postcard with variable data on both sides, printing on HP/Indigo 5500 on 12x18 paper with duplex on. intention is to print these 2 across and 2 down on the sheet. My problem is best illustrated by the first attachment where if we say Front is okay, page 1 on the back should be where 4 back is. (and 2 back should be where 3 back is...)

second attachment is imposed result of a quickie document showing how names aren't in the right location for when sheet is tumbled.

I don't think I understand the problem. The output looks like it matches the FPI file to me. Record 1 (John Huyt) is on the bottom right on the first sheet and on the bottom left on the second sheet, so that those two sides will line up when the sheets are printed duplex. This exactly matches the placement of the black 1 numbers in your FP Imposer screenshot. So as far as I can tell, it's working correctly.

If you want it to do something differently, can you post an example of what you want the output to look like? Then maybe we can figure out how to make FusionPro do that.

Hi Dan,

Yes, pdf output does match the preview in imposer. However, that's not how it should be. What is displayed in preview (and resulting imposed pdf) should have the back spun 180 degrees so that it makes proofing by client and operators easier.

The reason I say this is that when a client is proofing the imposed pdf, they will look at page 1 and then advance to page 2. As they can reasonably understand that the sheet will tumble (flip up and over) during printing in the press, they can easily confirm that the correct back will print where it should. However, the imposed pdf's from FP have all backs spun 180 degrees. This creates too much confusion for everyone involved when what they're seeing isn't representative of what they expect to be going on in the press.

Also, we're able to use these 'incorrectly' imposed files at press as there is a command on press to spin all backs, but I would like it without requiring the client to do unnecessary work.

more clear?

thanks,

Roger

Archived