Asian Character Support

-Lisa-

Hi there,

Long time customer, but first time ever having to use Asian Character support! I'm working on a business card where one side is English and one side is Chinese - very basic.

Font is Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro. I have it loaded on my machine but it will not show up when applying it to the text box in my template. Is there something else I need to do that I am totally missing? Do I need to create a JavaScript rule when using Asian Character support? I already checked to make sure that I have the Asian Character support enabled and I do.

Thanks!

Font is Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro. I have it loaded on my machine but it will not show up when applying it to the text box in my template.

What exactly do you mean by "it will not show up?" Do you mean that it's not in the drop-down list of fonts? Or do you mean that it is in that list, but that text to which that font is applied does not appear in the Text Editor? Or do you mean that it's not showing up in output?

Is there something else I need to do that I am totally missing? Do I need to create a JavaScript rule when using Asian Character support?!

No, you don't need to do that.

What exactly do you mean by "it will not show up?"
?

Sorry, should have been more specific.

I mean the font appears in my dropdown list in the Text Editor, however when I select it, the font defaults back to Helvetica. It is as if I am unable to select it even though it is in that dropdown list. In turn, the font will not preview.

Are you using a Chinese keyboard. I know I had to change my input keyboard to Czech for the wording to show up right.

No, I haven't changed the keyboard. At least not yet. I need to apply the font to variable fields and that's where I'm running into the issue. I cannot seem to apply the font to the variable fields in the text editor. :( But thanks for the suggestion!

I mean the font appears in my dropdown list in the Text Editor, however when I select it, the font defaults back to Helvetica. It is as if I am unable to select it even though it is in that dropdown list. In turn, the font will not preview.

Thanks for the clarification. I see the same problem, which seems to be unique to those Hiragino fonts. I'm investigating this now.

As a workaround, you can either use a different font, or create a rule that does this:

return '<f name="Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro">';

and insert that into the Text Editor before your text.

Another workaround is to select a different font that you're not otherwise using in your template, then from the menu in Acrobat, go to FusionPro -> Advanced -> Font Usage, and replace that font with Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro. The font will appear correctly in the output, even though it's not shown in the Text Editor.

Lisa

Try and change your input keyboard and retype. All languages have different letters and number of letters and different key commands for those letters.

In the english alphabet there is 26 letters but czech there are 42 letters. You have to be in the correct keyboard to key in the correct letters.

That's not relevant to the problem. I'm seeing it with a regular old English keyboard. The problem may be specific to the different version of FusionPro that Lisa is using.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried both creating and inserting a rule as well as selecting another font and using the Font Usage window to replace it and neither seem to be successful.

The JavaScript rule option returns the text in the font (in this case, Arial) that I applied to the text in this particular text frame just to return the rule.

The Font Usage option does provide an error which may be helpful:

"PDF Library Create Font Error: font HiraKakuPro-W3: The encoding (CMap) specified by a font is missing".

**On another note: I just tried updating to 9.3.22 hoping that would correct the error and instead, Acrobat crashed. :(

Edited by -Lisa-
Updated to add more information.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried both creating and inserting a rule as well as selecting another font and using the Font Usage window to replace it and neither seem to be successful.

Okay, although it's hard to diagnose the problem just from "it didn't work." Can you be more specific about the exact failure mode?

The JavaScript rule option returns the text in the font (in this case, Arial) that I applied to the text in this particular text frame just to return the rule.

Sorry, I don't understand that sentence.

The Font Usage option does provide an error which may be helpful:

"PDF Library Create Font Error: font HiraKakuPro-W3: The encoding (CMap) specified by a font is missing".

Okay, that's good information that helps me diagnose the problem.

**On another note: I just tried updating to 9.3.22 hoping that would correct the error and instead, Acrobat crashed. :(

Sorry about that. Can you attach the crash report here, or send it to Support?

Okay, although it's hard to diagnose the problem just from "it didn't work."

Since I tried two options, after stating neither was successful, I detailed each error below.

"The JavaScript rule option returns the text in the font (in this case, Arial) that I applied to the text in this particular text frame just to return the rule."

Sorry, I don't understand that sentence.

What I'm saying here is that I tried to create a JavaScript rule with the code you provided:

After creating this rule, I inserted it into the appropriate text frame I need to return the font. Since I cannot select the Hiragino font to apply to the rule in the text editor, I applied my default font (Arial) to the rule name in the editor. When I preview and subsequently compose the file, the output returns the test data in the Arial font rather than in the Hiragino font.

Sorry about that. Can you attach the crash report here, or send it to Support?

I'm actually not getting a crash report at all. Acrobat simply freezes up after the Composition System Window appears (without any progress) and I must Force Quit Acrobat in order to close it out.

If you need me to send Support my template, I'm happy to do so - just let me know.

Thanks for your help, Dan.

**Update**

I un-installed and re-installed the newest version of Creator (9.3.22) and attempted both suggestions again.

Now, both suggestions return the same Font Error I initially received:

Sounds like at least the issue is now isolated to this error which I guess can be a good thing in terms of troubleshooting.

What I'm saying here is that I tried to create a JavaScript rule with the code you provided:

After creating this rule, I inserted it into the appropriate text frame I need to return the font. Since I cannot select the Hiragino font to apply to the rule in the text editor, I applied my default font (Arial) to the rule name in the editor. When I preview and subsequently compose the file, the output returns the test data in the Arial font rather than in the Hiragino font.

I see. So in addition to not being able to select the font in the Editor (Problem 1, which I can reproduce), you have a separate problem where you can't compose with the font (Problem 2, which I'm not able to reproduce).

I'm actually not getting a crash report at all. Acrobat simply freezes up after the Composition System Window appears (without any progress) and I must Force Quit Acrobat in order to close it out.

Okay, so it's not actually a crash, it's a hang (Problem 3). If you contact Support, then can give you a patch to 9.3.22 which should fix this. Or you can go back to 9.3.6 or 9.3.15.

If you need me to send Support my template, I'm happy to do so - just let me know.

No, at this point, I'm pretty sure it's not a template-specific problem.

EDIT: Actually, it is template-specific, specifically that the "Limit processing to MacRoman text" box on the Advanced tab of the Composition Settings dialog is checked.

**Update**

I un-installed and re-installed the newest version of Creator (9.3.22) and attempted both suggestions again.

Sounds like at least the issue is now isolated to this error which I guess can be a good thing in terms of troubleshooting.

Okay, so from what I can tell, you are running into three different problems, all of which are specific to different versions of FusionPro:

1. You can't apply that font in the Text Editor.
  2. You can't compose with that font.
  3. The Composition Status dialog hangs.

Problem 1 seems to exist in all versions of 9.3, and 9.2 as well, although there are workarounds. I'm investigating this so that I can implement a fix in the next 9.3 patch build.

Problem 2 seems to be specific to version 9.3.6. I believe this is fixed in the 9.3.15 patch build, as well as in the latest 9.3.22 release.

EDIT: Sorry, that was incorrect. Actually, the problem is just that you need to UNcheck the "Limit processing to MacRoman text" box on the Advanced tab of the Composition Settings dialog.

Problem 3 is specific to the 9.3.22 build. Support can provide a patch which fixes this.

I think at this point, your best bet is to install FusionPro 9.3.15, which I think fixes problem 2, and doesn't have problem 3, and then use one of the workarounds I mentioned for Problem 1. The other option is to get the patch to 9.3.22.

Sorry for the trouble.

Edited by Dan Korn
Updated with new information.

Sorry, part of my previous post was inaccurate regarding this problem:

I had said about that:

you have a separate problem where you can't compose with the font (Problem 2, which I'm not able to reproduce).

But actually, I am able to reproduce that, if I have the "Limit processing to MacRoman text" box checked on the Advanced tab of the Composition Settings dialog.

I also said:

Problem 2 seems to be specific to version 9.3.6. I believe this is fixed in the 9.3.15 patch build, as well as in the latest 9.3.22 release.

This was wrong, sorry.

The problem is that, in order to use the Asian-encoded font, in addition to checking that "Enable Asian character support" box on the Advanced Settings dialog (a machine-wide setting that affects how fonts are loaded), you also need to UNcheck the "Limit processing to MacRoman text" box on the Advanced tab of the Composition Settings dialog (a template-specific setting that affects how the job is composed). Presumably, the reason you're using the Asian font is to typeset some Japanese or Chinese text, which is outside the range of the 8-bit Mac Roman encoding, and requires Unicode.

So, for this specific problem, it doesn't matter which version of 9.3 you use. As long as you uncheck that box in the Composition Settings, then either of the workarounds listed above should make the job compose correctly, without that "PDF Library Create Font Error" message.

That said, my revised advice is to install FusionPro 9.3.15. This will fix some other font problems that exist in 9.3.6. You don't really need 9.3.22 unless you're using Acrobat DC or InDesign 2015, or taking advantage of some other very specific features such as External Data File enhancements.

Also, I've identified the problem which prevents being able to set the font in the Text Editor, so there will be a patch build of 9.3 which fixes that problem, among others (including the hang when composing that you see in 9.3.22). So that upcoming patch build should fix everything for you, but for now, you can use the workarounds I suggested, along with unchecking that "Limit to MacRoman" box.

Thanks so much Dan!

I installed 9.3.22, checked that "Enable Asian character support" box on the Advanced Settings dialog is checked, and UNchecked "Limit processing to MacRoman text" on the Advanced tab of the composition window.

Then I tried both solutions again:

Solution #1 - Selecting a different font for this text box that isn't used elsewhere in the template and replacing it with the correct Hiragino font.

Solution #2 - Creating a JavaScript rule and inserting that rule into the Text Box Editor above my variable fields.

The preview still doesn't preview using the Hiragino font (not a big deal) however, when I try to compose, I am once again getting the composition window to pop up but no progress is ever made in processing. The Composition Window just pops up but there is nothing listed under Status, Input File, Output File, Record No, Page Count, or Percent complete. The progress bar is grey, and the log window below is empty.

I cannot use the "close" button to close the window out and it is not as if the program just stops responding because I am able to shut it down simply by quitting it.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing version 9.3.22 twice now and even left the Composition Window open on my workstation for about a half hour while I was in a meeting thinking it might just be jammed up or on a delay.

Sorry, looks like this saga continues....

when I try to compose, I am once again getting the composition window to pop up but no progress is ever made in processing. The Composition Window just pops up but there is nothing listed under Status, Input File, Output File, Record No, Page Count, or Percent complete. The progress bar is grey, and the log window below is empty.

I cannot use the "close" button to close the window out and it is not as if the program just stops responding because I am able to shut it down simply by quitting it.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing version 9.3.22 twice now and even left the Composition Window open on my workstation for about a half hour while I was in a meeting thinking it might just be jammed up or on a delay.

Sorry, looks like this saga continues....

Okay, well, just for the record, I never recommended that you upgrade to 9.3.22 in the first place.

Also, I'll ask you to please re-read what I wrote in my previous message. I've highlighted it in bold here:

Okay, so from what I can tell, you are running into three different problems, all of which are specific to different versions of FusionPro:

1. You can't apply that font in the Text Editor.
  2. You can't compose with that font.
  3. The Composition Status dialog hangs.

<snip>

Problem 3 is specific to the 9.3.22 build. Support can provide a patch which fixes this.

I think at this point, your best bet is to install FusionPro 9.3.15, which I think fixes problem 2, and doesn't have problem 3, and then use one of the workarounds I mentioned for Problem 1. The other option is to get the patch to 9.3.22.

And also what I wrote in my other previous message:

That said, my revised advice is to install FusionPro 9.3.15. This will fix some other font problems that exist in 9.3.6. You don't really need 9.3.22 unless you're using Acrobat DC or InDesign 2015, or taking advantage of some other very specific features such as External Data File enhancements.

I am, at this very moment, putting together a patch build of 9.3 which fixes the original problem, where you can't select the font in the Text Editor, as well as the problem with the composition dialog hanging. But for now, again, I recommend using 9.3.15.

Edited by Dan Korn
quoted my other previous message

Dan, I installed 9.3.22 two days ago, before your recommendation and additional comments came through. 9.3.22 is what was available as the most recent version on the downloads page of the Marcom website when I tried this solution.

If I should downgrade to 9.3.15 then I need a link to download this version because it is not visible on the Marcom website.

Dan, I installed 9.3.22 two days ago, before your recommendation and additional comments came through. 9.3.22 is what was available as the most recent version on the downloads page of the Marcom website when I tried this solution.

Okay. I just thought it was strange that I recommended installing 9.3.15, twice, and then your very next message said that you tried installing 9.3.22 again and it didn't work.

If I should downgrade to 9.3.15 then I need a link to download this version because it is not visible on the Marcom website.

Support can provide you with the 9.3.15 build. And, as mentioned earlier, they can also provide you with a patch to 9.3.22 to fix the hang.