Graphic Frame solution needed

hrueda

If you want the whole frame to be hidden under certain circumstances, then name the frame and in the OnRecordStart rule hide it as appropriate.

The code to hide a frame is simply this (in OnRecordStart)

var frame=FindGraphicFrame("Frame1"); // replace Frame1 with the name of your frame –

frame.suppress();

Just put this code in an if block in OnRecordStart and it will hide the whole frame.

Note that the doublequotes might have been changed to smart quotes in your email reader & might have to be changed to straight quotes in the rule editor.

• 3 months later...

(in OnRecordStart) I've pasted the code, changed the frame name and validate it getting the "Expressions OK" pop up window, nevertheless I don't believe this is being applied. In the storefront the graphic frame is present when I generate a proof and that part is fine but when I get the imposed file pdf on the email notification the graphic frame is still present. I've attached a screenshot of the on RecordStart callback for reference.

Thanks

ScreenShot2016-08-16at4_09_56PM.png.efbb2f4a2169d4d3f8cf5b6c0b86cc74.png

I've attached a screenshot of the on RecordStart callback for reference.

Okay, thanks, although you could just copy and paste the code itself instead of attaching a picture.

Anyway, you're calling FindGraphicFrame twice, and retrieving two frame objects, but then you're doing absolutely nothing with those objects. You have some commented out code, but it's not quite right. The FusionProFrame object has a property named suppress, not a function, and it should be set to a Boolean (true/false) value.

If you want to suppress a frame, you need to first call FindGraphicFrame, with the frame name, then call the suppress function on the object that FindGraphicFrame returned. For example:

var frame = FindGraphicFrame("Die Front");
frame.suppress = true;
var frame = FindGraphicFrame("Die Back");
frame.suppress = true;

Or, equivalently:

FindGraphicFrame("Die Front").suppress = true;
FindGraphicFrame("Die Back").suppress = true;

Of course, just specifying literal true like that will unconditionally suppress the frames, and you want to do it conditionally, depending on whether you're doing a press or proof composition. That can be done, but how to do it depends on exactly what system it is that you're running these press and proof compositions in. Which brings me to my question about this:

In the storefront the graphic frame is present when I generate a proof and that part is fine but when I get the imposed file pdf on the email notification the graphic frame is still present.

Exactly what "storefront" are you referring to here, in what system? MarcomCentral? EFI Digital StoreFront? Some other web application?

As noted previously on this forum, this should work in MarcomCentral:

FindGraphicFrame("Die Front").suppress = IsOnlinePreview();
FindGraphicFrame("Die Back").suppress = IsOnlinePreview();

But you may need to do something different if you're submitting to a different web application.

Thank you very much Dan, your feedback has been most helpful. The only other thing I need is the code for when I need to suppress the press output instead of the proof composition. I am using Marcom Central.

Thanks again!

Hello

I'm trying to suppress a graphic frame on the output file.

The code I'm using is below.

FindGraphicFrame("Die Front").suppress = OutputFile();

FindGraphicFrame("Die Back").suppress = OutputFile();

When I validate on the editor it says that the OutFile is not defined. Not sure how to proceed since Marcom names the output file.

Thanks for your help.

Are you trying to suppress the text frames when you're in the composition stage? As in: suppress the frames when not in preview and show them when in preview? If so:

FindGraphicFrame("Die Front").suppress = !IsPreview();
FindGraphicFrame("Die Back").suppress = !IsPreview();

Here is a possible workaround for your issue. Rather than place the graphic in a graphic frame, make it a static part of the PDF background. Then, in your Composition Settings dialog, go to the Graphics tab, and check the box that says "Suppress static PDF background in composition". Then the graphic will appear when the end user views a proof, and will be suppressed in the composed file that goes to press. At least, that is how it behaves with the WebCRD Dynamics web-to-print system, I'm hoping that MarcomCentral is similar.

I once had a situation where preprinted shells were being used for the front cover of a booklet. The FusionPro preview output that the end user saw needed to have the cover graphics showing, but the composed PDF that went to press had to have the cover be just plain white with only the variable text showing. This workaround did the trick.