with fonts. Dots show up instead of letters in preview

Allegra

I recently converted a font (formata condensed) from a mac font to a pc font using a program called CrossFont. I can find it in my C drive, it works fine previewing all its charecters and it appears in adobe illustrator as well. However, when i try to use it in fusion pro after updating all new fonts, i can use it in the variable text editor box, but when i go to preview it appears as many small dots instead of text. Is anyone else having this problem?

Any ideas on how to fix this?

im using windows xp, adobe acrobat 8.1

i had the font transfered from a mac to my pc through the network. I then downloaded crossfont free trial. It converted it to a pc font. it is now an open type font (formata-condensed.otf). It can be found in the folder C:\PSFONTS. I used used the fusion pro option to add new fonts to add it into adobe acrobat.

Hi Allegra,

Try placing the font in the Windows font location. The default location is 'C:\WINDOWS\Fonts'. When you drop the font in that location you should get a popup window that says the font is installing. After it is installed in Windows run 'Load Fonts' in FusionPro.

I dont seem to have that location on this computer. The closest i have is: C:\oldemail\old PP2000\Access2000rt\WINDOWS\FONTS, which only has 2 other fonts in it. Most if not all of our fonts are located in C:\PSFONTS, which is where i originally loaded it. I tried the former folder anyway but there was no pop up window, and after loading fonts on fusion pro after that, it still didnt work.

Do you know anything else it could be?

Hi Allegra,

Choose 'Control Panel' from your Windows Start Menu. There will be a link on the top left of the window that says, "Switch to Classic View." Click on that and your control panel window will be a series of icons. One of those icons will look like a folder with an 'A' in it. The title will be 'Fonts'. Double click on the icon and your system's default font location will open. You should see all of the fonts installed on your system. Drop the font into that window. This should install the font into your Windows system.

You will still need to run 'Load Fonts' in FusionPro after doing this to make it usable within the FusionPro application.

Hey Doug,

Thanks for all the help, i really appreciate it. However my fusion pro is pretty stuborn about this. Although i did what you said, it is still showing me dots every time i preview, even though the font works in the variable text editor box. I tried both, load new fonts and load all fonts.

Might there just be something wrong with the preview? I would think if the font works in the variable text editor it should work in the preview for the same progam.

Any other thoughts as to how i could go about fixing this issue?

Hi Allegra,

What do you see when you double click on the font file? A window should open with a preview of the font. Does it preview right?

It could have something to do with the conversion of the font from Mac to PC. What you see in the text editor and what the font actually is can be two different things. Since most of our jobs come in with Mac fonts I normally convert them to PC format fonts so that I can use them on our Windows servers.

I use a something called FontLab to do this. I have had good luck with it over the years. They also have a simple converter called TransType. I haven't used the converter but the other software has worked well for me. I don't know if this will help you but they do have demo installs you could try.

Hey Doug,

When i double click the font file a full preview comes up correctly. I tried it out in both microsoft word and adobe illustrator. The font worked fine in both of these programs and displayed the correct charecters. I tried out the demo for fontlab, but it wont work with the files i have for some reason.

The only problem i can see with this font is that it doesnt work in Fusion pro or fontlab. The file type for my original font from my mac is "_FORMACON File".

Would it be a font issue or a fusion pro issue if it works on other programs on my pc?

Hi Allegra,

If the font works in other programs it is probably in a format that FusionPro has a problem with.

Go to your FusionPro font folder (probably located in 'C:\Program Files\Printable\FusionPro\Fonts') and see if your font is in there. That is where FusioPro places the font files when you run 'Load Fonts'.

You can also check the 'fonts.err' file (probably located in 'C:\Program Files\Printable\FusionPro') and see if there is any indication of an error when loading the font.

Archived