FusionPro and Font Management Utilities

KayEll

I'm not sure where I read it, but I was under the impression that Fusion Pro did not use or recognize Font Management utilities such as Font Agent Pro, etc.

I'm having some trouble though. I had a job that previewed and composed fine all day long. But the next day, when I opened it, one font would not preview. The only thing that had changed was that 2 co-workers had used that computer for other jobs in other applications and had turned fonts on and/or off in Font Agent Pro. I loaded fonts several times, quit Acrobat, re-opened, and finally had to navigate to my C>Windows>Fonts folder and remove the font and replace from a backup, then load fonts again, quit Acrobat, and then it finally previewed.

So my question is two-fold:

1) When my co-workers turn fonts on and off in Font Agent Pro for use in other programs, is that going to affect my FP templates?

2) Is there a way to tell FP to only use fonts from one certain folder? Or is the act of "loading fonts" loading any font on that computer, no matter where it's located?

Thanks!

KayEll

FP 5.82, Windows XP, Acrobat Pro 8

http://forums.printable.com/images/misc/progress.gif

1) When my co-workers turn fonts on and off in Font Agent Pro for use in other programs, is that going to affect my FP templates?

Yes, of course. If your job is using a font which is no longer installed on the system, then FusionPro Desktop won't be able to access it. Neither will any other application.

If you're using FP Server, then fonts are collected with the job for composition, which is why any job will compose on FP Web or other FP Server-based system without installing every possible customer font on each composition machine. However, if you're using FP Desktop, all the fonts need to be both installed on the system and loaded into FusionPro.

Basically, if the set of installed fonts on your system has changed, you need to do a "Load Fonts" in FusionPro. In FusionPro 5.8, we added a "Load New Fonts" option to facilitate this process.

2) Is there a way to tell FP to only use fonts from one certain folder?

No. All fonts insatalled on your system are loaded when you do a "Load Fonts."

Or is the act of "loading fonts" loading any font on that computer, no matter where it's located?

Yes, as long as the system recognizes the font as installed.

Archived