Creating a Name variable consisting of multiple fields

I'm still new to js but I'm starting to figure it out.

I know that I could accomplish what I need by creating multiple rules but I'm trying to figure out how to do this within one rule.

I often have to create an address block and have multiple fields for the name.

i.e. Prefix, First, Middle, Last, Suffix.

I would like to combine all of those into one field but some of them are empty a fair amount. Can someone tell me how to accomplish this? I'm pretty sure I could do it by creating some super complex else-if statement but I feel like there's probably an easier way.

• 2 weeks later...

If you need to call a function from more than one rule, then you should put it into the JavaScript Globals. If it's only used in one rule, then you can either leave it in the rule or put it in the Globals, whichever you prefer.

However, in this case, I think a simpler solution would be just:

return ["Prefix", "First", "Middle", "Last", "Suffix"].map(Field).filter(String).join(' ');

This basically says: for this list of strings, call the Field function on each, filter out any empty ones, and delimit them with spaces.

Thanks Dan.

Yeah I think that's much simpler. But for the Suffix, if I need to add a Comma before, is there a way to do that?

Sure, something like this:

var result = ["Prefix", "First", "Middle", "Last"].map(Field).filter(String).join(' ');
return [result, Field("Suffix")].map(String).join(', ');

Or:

var result = ["Prefix", "First", "Middle", "Last"].map(Field).filter(String).join(' ');
if (!Field("Suffix"))
   return result;

return result + ', ' + Field("Suffix");