Pantone color books

Tattoued

There are two ways to import colors into a FusionPro template:

1. From another FusionPro PDF template, with the Import dialog (from the menu in Acrobat, FusionPro -> Advanced -> Import).
  2. From an InDesign document, exported to FusionPro (from the FusionPro palette in InDesign).

Ok I tried that, but it doesn't import any colors (Pantone 662C is in the document, but does not import that color). I'm not sure I know what you mean by FusionPro "template". I'm using Acrobat DC.

I'd like to be able to access a Pantone color book in the color picker section of FusionPro like I do now with the Pantone uncoated book that's there. How do I do that?

Ok I tried that,

You tried... what exactly? Importing from another FusionPro template? Exporting from InDesign?

but it doesn't import any colors (Pantone 662C is in the document, but does not import that color).

It's in "the document?" What document?

I'm not sure I know what you mean by FusionPro "template". I'm using Acrobat DC.

I mean the FusionPro PDF, with the variable frames and rules and such, that you edit in Acrobat. That's your FusionPro VDP template.

I'd like to be able to access a Pantone color book in the color picker section of FusionPro like I do now with the Pantone uncoated book that's there.

That's there? Where?

How do I do that?

Please be more specific about exactly what you're trying to do.

• 3 months later...
Hi. I'm revisiting this same exact scenario. I tried importing from FusionPro. The colors do NOT come over. I tried exporting from InDesign. I see no FusionPro palette there. When I said "I tried that" that means I tried all that you suggested (I assumed that was clear). The "document" meaning the pdf file I'm trying to match the colors for (I thought that was clear too). I said the Pantone color book (uncoated) "in the color picker section of FusionPro" - not sure why you're asking me "where?". I can't get the color PANTONE 662 C to come up in the Advanced>Colors tab when I create a new color, no matter what I do (according to ALL of your original suggestions). I even tried converting the file to CMYK from Illustrator (the native file) and creating a new color with the same mixture as the blue that's there in the PDF file, but when I compose it, the new blue that I created in FusionPro somehow shifts to a different CMYK mix and doesn't match the PDF blue anymore. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've spent 2 hours trying to fix this and it's ridiculous.

Hi. I'm revisiting this same exact scenario. I tried importing from FusionPro.

You mean you tried importing the color library from another FusionPro template? The implication being that you have FusionPro template with the color library available?

I tried exporting from InDesign. I see no FusionPro palette there.

If you don't see a FusionPro palette within InDesign, how exactly did you try to export the Pantone library?

When I said "I tried that" that means I tried all that you suggested (I assumed that was clear). The "document" meaning the pdf file I'm trying to match the colors for (I thought that was clear too). I said the Pantone color book (uncoated) "in the color picker section of FusionPro" - not sure why you're asking me "where?".

I understand that you felt like you were being clear but extra clarification is always helpful when describing your problem to someone who hasn't been dealing with it for two hours. And, speaking only for myself – if I were the one who took time out of my day to try to help you with your problem only to have you turn around and take your frustrations out on me, I imagine I'd start to find it hard to care about whether or not you figured out how to import colors.

I can't get the color PANTONE 662 C to come up in the Advanced>Colors tab when I create a new color, no matter what I do (according to ALL of your original suggestions). I even tried converting the file to CMYK from Illustrator (the native file) and creating a new color with the same mixture as the blue that's there in the PDF file, but when I compose it, the new blue that I created in FusionPro somehow shifts to a different CMYK mix and doesn't match the PDF blue anymore. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've spent 2 hours trying to fix this and it's ridiculous.

Do you need the entire Pantone book to be imported or do you just need the blue? If it's the latter, I'd suggest just creating the color in FusionPro.

FusionPro > Advanced > Colors

Select "New"

Name it PANTONE 662 C

Enter a build and select "Spot Color"

Once you do that, you'll be able to select "PANTONE 662 C" from the color drop-down list in the text editor.

I will say that I've noticed in the past that the colors don't always seem to visually match the colors that are embedded in the FP template but with spot colors it shouldn't matter because you just want the "PANTONE 662 C" variable data to print on the "PANTONE 662 C" separation of the FP template.