Another multiple resource question

kwinsley

Hi all,

I've learned a lot from reading this forum, but I just can't figure this one out. I'm using FP Designer 7.1P1c on an XP machine.

We've got a multiple page PDF that consists of four graphic boxes on each page. Each one is driven in some way by the data. I'm having a problem with my background graphic frame rule pulling images in properly.

There are three versions of each background and each version is available in 10 colors. So, there are thirty possible background image choices.

We've named our images after the following format: [style]_.pdf - i.e. "Style1_Blue.pdf" I've added them all as resources and all are linked.

I'm using the following rule to try to pull them based upon two data fields:

return Resource(Field("Style Choice") + "_" + Field("Color Option") + ".pdf", "graphic", true);

In preview, it returns the following images: Style1_Red.pdf, Style2_Red.pdf, Style3_Red.pdf. In other words, it gets the style right, but not the color unless the data calls for RED.

I've also tried CreateResource, but I saw a post that indicated that wasn't a good approach since we're going to end up using it on a storefront.

Other switch rules that are simpler (3 replacements only) work fine, but this one is being a bit frustrating. I'm sure it is simple, but I've stared at it for a while and am getting no where...

Thanks,

Kurt

return Resource(Field("Style Choice") + "_" + Field("Color Option") + ".pdf", "graphic", true);

In preview, it returns the following images: Style1_Red.pdf, Style2_Red.pdf, Style3_Red.pdf. In other words, it gets the style right, but not the color unless the data calls for RED.

When you say, "In Preview", do you mean the preview in FP Desktop? Does the color of the graphic not match the value of the data field in the Preview Record Selector palette as you change records? What if you do a regular (non-Preview" composition?

You could try outputting the field value to a text frame to see if the text matches the graphic in the output as well. It might be that you just don't have the named resources mapped to the actual graphic files correctly.

When you say, "In Preview", do you mean the preview in FP Desktop? Does the color of the graphic not match the value of the data field in the Preview Record Selector palette as you change records? What if you do a regular (non-Preview" composition?

You could try outputting the field value to a text frame to see if the text matches the graphic in the output as well. It might be that you just don't have the named resources mapped to the actual graphic files correctly.

Yes, the preview in FP Desktop. When I do a compose, I get the same results as the preview. In the morning, I'll try to output the results to a text block as you suggest and make sure that it matches.

When I click the validate button in the rules editor, it returns what looks like the appropriate response that matches the filename. Something like: resource "Style1_Blue.pdf"

I'll post that also in the morning when I can see it to get it exact.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Kurt

When I click the validate button in the rules editor, it returns what looks like the appropriate response that matches the filename. Something like: resource "Style1_Blue.pdf"

If the validation appears correct, then I would check to make sure that the Resource named "Style1_Blue.pdf" is not inadvertently linked to the red PDF.

The resources appear to link up correctly. I've attached a couple of screenshots showing the Resources & Rules pop up windows in case that helps figure out what I've got going on here.

The text box at the middle of the Rules screenshot "Style3_Cream.pdf" is generated according to Dan's suggestion above.

Thanks!

Kurt

Rule_Validation.thumb.jpg.21e7b97fb66e0cc194edd1c108ac2888.jpg

style3_Creamscreenshot.jpg.53a629b38965ba04328cda9d34d244f1.jpg

That's really odd. The only other "duh!" thoughts are:

1) Does Style2_Cream.pdf contain just one page with a cream-colored background?

2) Do you have a 2nd graphic frame returning the red PDF sitting on top of the frame returning the cream PDF?

If the answers to those questions are "Yes" and "No" respectively, I imagine we would need to see a sample, collected job to figure out what's going on.

Ok. I'm on to something. I have been trying to pull background graphics as PDF files and the rule doesn't work. When I switch them to JPEG files, the rule works. Why can't I pull PDF files? They aren't complicated graphics, just a block of color or a simple Illustrator created curved block.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

Kurt

Ok. I'm on to something. I have been trying to pull background graphics as PDF files and the rule doesn't work. When I switch them to JPEG files, the rule works. Why can't I pull PDF files? They aren't complicated graphics, just a block of color or a simple Illustrator created curved block.

Any ideas?

It's hard to say without seeing the graphics, and seeing how you're bringing them into the job. If you can collect the job and post it, that would give us something to look at.

Ok, we resolved this issue (well, one of our prepress techs figured it out). The problem was the graphic files that we were trying to use as our background graphic were layered PDFs created from layered Illustrator files. All the colors were in the original Illustrator file as different layers. To create our individual color PDF files, the unneeded layers were simply turned off in Illustrator and a PDF was created using Save As. Unfortunately, when we tried to pull those into FP, it didn't recognize the Visibility toggle from the PDF file and simply displayed the top layer, which was RED.

Our prepress tech has since modified the PDFs to have the top layer be the specific color desired. Now it is working properly.

Kurt

Ok, we resolved this issue (well, one of our prepress techs figured it out). The problem was the graphic files that we were trying to use as our background graphic were layered PDFs created from layered Illustrator files. All the colors were in the original Illustrator file as different layers. To create our individual color PDF files, the unneeded layers were simply turned off in Illustrator and a PDF was created using Save As. Unfortunately, when we tried to pull those into FP, it didn't recognize the Visibility toggle from the PDF file and simply displayed the top layer, which was RED.

Our prepress tech has since modified the PDFs to have the top layer be the specific color desired. Now it is working properly.

Thanks for the update. If you want to post one of the Illustrator PDFs here, or send it to me via Support, I can take a look at it and see if there's something FusionPro can do to handle it better.

Archived