Error 1096

I'm having some trouble trying to compose a numbered ticket template file for a customer. Keeps coming up w/ Error 1096. Searched here and saw 1 other post indicating they had a corrupted PDF....? Is that what error 1096 means? Drop back and punt? :eek:

Thanks.

- Mac

Hello Mac,

The 1096 error is a general abort error that FusionPro can throw when an unexpected error occurs. We've seen this error be thrown when there are read/write issues with the composition process including read-only files/folders or lack of disk space.

Do you see this error immediately when the composition starts, or does it happen part-way through the composition?

Now there's a number of things you can try here to resolve this. Hopefully one of the following items will resolve this issue for you:

1) Make sure you have sufficient free disk space.

2) Make sure you have read/write permission to the folders where the base template files reside as well as the requested output folder. Even if your user account has admin privileges, check to make sure the folders themselves have read/write set on them.

3) (Assuming this is a FusionPro Desktop composition vs. a FusionPro Direct or Server composition) Delete any files in the folder where your PDF template resides that have extensions of .dif, .def, and .cfg. These are FusionPro files that are generated automatically when you compose with FusionPro Desktop based on the template and composition information located inside the PDF template itself. They will be regenerated on the next composition.

4) Try re-saving your PDF template in Acrobat to a new PDF file name via a "Save As". Acrobat will re-write the PDF template to disk and this sometimes can clean up bogus corruption data in the PDF itself.

5) If all the above fails, try and re-export your template from InDesign/Quark. You have 2 options here:

-
Option 1 -First, make a backup of your PDF template. Then, follow the steps that user
mentioned in an earlier post:
"Open Indesign, make change, export out using the FP plugin, replace your FusionPro pdf that has all the variable done to it, when the pdf opens in Acrobat, click "NO," you do not want to replace the work that has been done. and re-import the FusionPro template information from your original files (the data definition info as well as the template layout)."

- Option 2 - Short of re-doing all the work to design your template again, this method allows you to import all the FP settings from your original template. First, recrete the static PDF background (via an InDesign/Quark export to a new PDF or other means you use to make the PDF background). Then, you can import the data definition using the data definition wizard (3rd option on the first screen of the wizard) where you point to the .def file from your original template. This gives you the association to the data input file, the rules, and the resources of the original job. Next, you can import the FusionPro variable frame layout by going to FusionPro -> Advanced -> Import. Here, you point to the original PDF template file itself. This gives you, among other items, the frames with their settings and content.

Finally, if you get this far and are still seeing the 1096, please contact our support team for further troubleshooting.

hth.

Thanks for the suggestions Mark,

I did try a few of those things mentioned already (it's just a simple ticket, flat-file only has 2 fields, I've gone back to the Illustrator EPS and punted a few times over the weekend.. No love).

Yes, plenty of disk space (checked that first, LOL!)

Never thought of the permissions thing, but I see where you're going w/ the thought process. Folder does check-out, permissions are good. Also tried save as.. and created all 'new' folder's on my desktop, still no love.

Still getting the error. Ironically, this is a repeat job, and I cannot compose the previous version of this file either, error's w/ the same problems (and that job ran fine last year?) Only change is I've got a new version of FusionPro.

I kicked off an eMail to support this morning, so hopefully Jeff's getting a strong cup of coffee this morning, LOL!

Thanks!

- Mac

Mac,

Hmmm.... Do other jobs compose for you? Perhaps open one of the FusionPro tutorial jobs like the Cellphone job (located in the FusionPro Tutorials folder) and try composing it. Does it give a 1096?

If it does give a 1096, I would say do a re-install of FusionPro as it looks like a deeper issue.

If that job does work, try exporting a simple blank page from Illustrator to PDF using the same method you used to export the original template. In Acrobat, use the FP data-def wizard to chose data source of "None". Draw a simple text frame. Now try composing. Is that throwing a 1096? If so, it might be something with the way the PDF is generated from Illustrator that's causing the issue.

In any case, our support team is probably the best option for you at this point. I would send an email to fusionProSupport@printable.com which goes directly to the FusionPro VDP support team (Jeff can assist as well but his focus is mainly on the MarcomCentral application).

If

Thanks Mark!

Yes, I can compose and collect jobs for the website fine. Haven't tried any other local ones. Most of our VDP work is off the web (but I've got a couple mail-merge jobs coming down the pipe, so this is good practice! LOL!)

Will try that 'new AI' file trick you suggest and see if it works a little later (buried in Litho work at the moment).

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

- Mac

• 3 years later...
Hello Mac,

The 1096 error is a general abort error that FusionPro can throw when an unexpected error occurs. We've seen this error be thrown when there are read/write issues with the composition process including read-only files/folders or lack of disk space.

Do you see this error immediately when the composition starts, or does it happen part-way through the composition?

Now there's a number of things you can try here to resolve this. Hopefully one of the following items will resolve this issue for you:

1) Make sure you have sufficient free disk space.

2) Make sure you have read/write permission to the folders where the base template files reside as well as the requested output folder. Even if your user account has admin privileges, check to make sure the folders themselves have read/write set on them.

3) (Assuming this is a FusionPro Desktop composition vs. a FusionPro Direct or Server composition) Delete any files in the folder where your PDF template resides that have extensions of .dif, .def, and .cfg. These are FusionPro files that are generated automatically when you compose with FusionPro Desktop based on the template and composition information located inside the PDF template itself. They will be regenerated on the next composition.

4) Try re-saving your PDF template in Acrobat to a new PDF file name via a "Save As". Acrobat will re-write the PDF template to disk and this sometimes can clean up bogus corruption data in the PDF itself.

5) If all the above fails, try and re-export your template from InDesign/Quark. You have 2 options here:

-
Option 1 -First, make a backup of your PDF template. Then, follow the steps that user
mentioned in an earlier post:
"Open Indesign, make change, export out using the FP plugin, replace your FusionPro pdf that has all the variable done to it, when the pdf opens in Acrobat, click "NO," you do not want to replace the work that has been done. and re-import the FusionPro template information from your original files (the data definition info as well as the template layout)."

- Option 2 - Short of re-doing all the work to design your template again, this method allows you to import all the FP settings from your original template. First, recrete the static PDF background (via an InDesign/Quark export to a new PDF or other means you use to make the PDF background). Then, you can import the data definition using the data definition wizard (3rd option on the first screen of the wizard) where you point to the .def file from your original template. This gives you the association to the data input file, the rules, and the resources of the original job. Next, you can import the FusionPro variable frame layout by going to FusionPro -> Advanced -> Import. Here, you point to the original PDF template file itself. This gives you, among other items, the frames with their settings and content.

Finally, if you get this far and are still seeing the 1096, please contact our support team for further troubleshooting.

hth.

Hello Mark, just one thing, I can't find those steps you mentioned in your post, so can you help me to find it? I was looking for rpatrick posts bit I didn't find it...

Thx and best regards...

Sevi

Hello Mark, just one thing, I can't find those steps you mentioned in your post, so can you help me to find it? I was looking for rpatrick posts bit I didn't find it...

Searching the forum turns up this post, which I think is the one that Mark (who is no longer with the company) was referencing:

http://forums.printable.com/showpost.php?p=3872&postcount=2

Are you getting the 1096 error? If so, please contact FusionProSupport@PTI.com and tell them the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system.