Imposition Issue

Awhile back I posted with an imposition question and got some help but was never able to work it out so just found a work around. The same issue has come up again so I'm back at it.

I am working on a 2 sided card to be used on a DSF site that I've set up in fusion pro.

The cards are printed on press not digitally. Because of this they are printed 10 up on and they want to give the customer the option of buying 1 name (10 up), 2 names (2x5up) or 5 names(1 of each up). Each card will be set up as follows:

Name, Credentials

Title

Street Address, City, State, Zip

Office | Fax | Mobile

Email

Ideally, I'd like for each individual card to be shown in dsf, but for the imposition file to impose according to the amount of names ordered. I have no clue how to to go about this. I'm attaching my working files

PB BC.zip

Desired Layout.pdf

The cards are printed on press not digitally. Because of this they are printed 10 up on and they want to give the customer the option of buying 1 name (10 up), 2 names (2x5up) or 5 names(1 of each up).

And this option is reflected in the data how exactly? I need some data field value to trigger off of for a rule, but I don't see it in the data in the template you attached.

Also, will each name be in a separate record of data, or will there be multiple data fields (like name1, name2, name3) in a single record? Again, I need something to go on here in terms of how the data is structured in order to know how to write a rule to handle it.

Ideally, I'd like for each individual card to be shown in dsf,

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "shown in dsf." Do you mean in a preview, similar to the online preview in the MarcomCentral web app?

but for the imposition file to impose according to the amount of names ordered.

I'm not very familiar with the DSF application. I don't know how to tell DSF that you want a preview non-imposed but a "final" composition imposed. Questions specific to DSF should be asked on EFI's forums, or to EFI support. All I can tell you is what I know about FusionPro itself.

Anyway, it looks like you don't really need to change the imposition (the FPI file) itself in the FusionPro composition; it's always just a ten-up.

Again, though, exactly how to write a rule to repeat each name a specific number of times depends on how the data is structured.

For a basic example for repeating a record, where you have a data field which specifies how many repeats there are for each data record, let's say the field is called "repeat", all you need to do is this in OnRecordStart:

FusionPro.Composition.repeatRecordCount = Int(Field("repeat"));

So, you just need to set the repeat counts so that you end up with ten total output records, on your imposed 10-up sheet.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I'm just getting back around to this. Obviously, my experience is limited and I'm a graphic designer in way over my head :eek: I think I was getting hung up on the imposition aspect of this when I think FPImposer will take care of that part. My real issue is taking this one business card and having the customer have the option to fill out the info to create 5 separate cards. So I'll have Name1, Name2, Name3, Name4, Name5 and so on. So they will fill out info for:

Card 1

Full Name1

Accrediation1

Title1

Street Address1

City1, State1 Zip1

Office1

Fax1

Mobile1

Email1

Card 2

Full Name2

Accrediation2

Title2

Street Address2

City1, State1 Zip2

Office2

Fax2

Mobile2

Email2

Card 3

Full Name3

Accrediation3

Title3

Street Address3

City1, State1 Zip3

Office3

Fax3

Mobile3

Email3

And so on...

My real issue is taking this one business card and having the customer have the option to fill out the info to create 5 separate cards. So I'll have Name1, Name2, Name3, Name4, Name5 and so on.

Okay. So... what exactly is the question you're asking now?

Are you still asking how to take the filled-in "groups" of data for a variable number of names/cards, and impose them to fill up your imposed sheets? If so, then my previous answer still applies, which is "exactly how to write a rule to repeat each name a specific number of times depends on how the data is structured." And what I mean by that is, I need to see an actual data file, not just a description of the form the end user will fill out.

Or are you asking how to make a form for the user to fill out those five different names and other info? I suppose you could make a form like that, with up to 55 or so different fields for the user to type into, but that seems pretty unwieldy. The concept of having the end user fill out a form like that is usually for what we call a "versioned" job, with just one record of data, rather than a "VDP" job with multiple records.

So a better paradigm overall for this, from a FusionPro point of view, would be a way to have the end user supply a multi-record data file with field names like Name, Credentials, Title, etc. in the first ("header") row, and then each person's info in subsequent data row.

As for the best way to make a user input form in DSF, well, that would be better asked on the DSF forums (possibly in their FusionPro sub-forum), or directed to EFI support.

That said, I know that DSF supports FusionPro's HTML Form Definition feature. So what you could do, though I don't really recommend this approach, is create a "dummy" data file with fields (columns) for each of the 50+ field names in your last post, such as Card 1, Full Name1, Accrediation1, Title1, Street Address1, City1, State1, Zip1, Office1, Fax1, Mobile1, Email1, Full Name2, Accrediation2, etc. Then you can use this as the data file for your FusionPro job, go into the menu in Acrobat and select FusionPro -> Define HTML Form -> From Current Data, and set up your HTML form with 55 data fields for the user to enter. But again, I don't recommend doing that, because if nothing else, it's incredibly unwieldy to manage a job like that, both from the FusionPro template design end and for the end user who has to fill out a massive form. There has to be a better way to capture that data in DSF, and if there isn't, then maybe you need a different solution than DSF.