Need a "How-To" for imposing HP PPML / JLYT

tomlar1977

Hi All!

We have an HP Indigo 5500, besides a NexPress and a Canon 7000. The Kodak and Canon machine both have quite OK imposition on their frontends, but the Indigo is not any good on this (read: it sucks big time). I can without problems output a PDF file from FusionPro which is imposed, but of course it RIPs painfully slow (I did a 3000 records job Friday, containing only 2 pages and only an address changed on it, took +8 hours to RIP).

My question is therefore: How do I successfully use the same imposition settings, I tried on the same job, but what should be 2 A4 on a landscape SRA3 was rotated 90 degrees and the graphics (which was not variable) was distorted?

Our HP dealer is no good for helping, they only support Yours Truly designer, which I will not use, since I love my FusionPro!

Kind regards,

Tommy

Depending on the physical size of the PDF in MB, as well as it resources, PDF is the slowest output format to compose and RIP. This is due to the fact that, as in the example provided you are generating 3000 pages.

This will result in a bloated PDF which may choke on the RIP.

Recommended Output Formats for RIPs:

Here are 5 possible RIPs w/ output formats:

Xerox DocuSP RIP -> VIPP or PPML

EFI Fiery RIP -> PPML

Creo Spire RIP -> VPS or PPML

HP Indigo -> HP PPML or JLYT

Xeikon - PPML

These output formats are postscript based, which will compose and RIP quicker than PDF format.

One thing to keep in mind is that any hi-res, transparency or layers in the artwork need to be flattened prior to building the pdf.

The reason is there is no way to translate these effects in the postcript language, and if not adhered to, will result in downsampling and rasterization of the images in the file.

HTH

regards,

Alex

Hi Alex!

Thanks for explaining the various output methods, which I already knew most of the differences about - but my general question was, and still is, how do I use the imposition methods available in FusionPro, and make the Indigo accept these files? As mentioned, nothing looked what it should, when I tried printing one of the imposed files from FusionPro :confused:

Hi Alex!

Thanks for explaining the various output methods, which I already knew most of the differences about - but my general question was, and still is, how do I use the imposition methods available in FusionPro, and make the Indigo accept these files? As mentioned, nothing looked what it should, when I tried printing one of the imposed files from FusionPro :confused:

I have for the last 6 months or so, used Fusion Pro Exclusively for 6 HP Indigo 7000 and 2 HP 5500 Presses.. While I also had a Production Pro rip that would just eat the files, if I was sending straight to the 5500's, I would always use JLYT... There is a very good how to on the site..

Imposition was always done in Fusion Pro with FP Imposer.. it works very well.

HTH....

Mark

Archived