Fixed text in Expression

graphikal

There may be a simple explanation, but darned if we can find it. If we have an Expression that will say "Linda's Beach" for example, with 'Linda' being the data variable, how do we set up the expression? It is for a calendar layout where we will call upon unique expressions for each month. We can't build the non-variable text into the design, as it must move to accommodate the length of the variable names.

Any thoughts appreciated - thanks in advance!

I assume you're using either the Producer GUI or FPExpressionCL.exe to generate the output. So you need to simply include the full text, including the "fixed" (static) part, to each line of the job file used. So a line in the job file would look something like this:

Linda <tab> YourTemplate.fpx <tab> Linda's Beach

If you're using FusionPro VDP to drive the FP Expression, you could just create a rule like this:

return PersonalizedImage("YourFPXTemplate", Field("Name") + "'s Beach");

Greatly appreciated Dan. We're using FP Desktop with Expression.

Because we're green when it comes to Javascript, I'd assume I can view the JS for the individual rule and then add the modification you show to give us the correct result?

Is there a place I'm not seeing with the rules editor that allows this, or is this just something that's beyond the editor and must be handled manually?

Thanks

Greatly appreciated Dan. We're using FP Desktop with Expression.

Because we're green when it comes to Javascript, I'd assume I can view the JS for the individual rule and then add the modification you show to give us the correct result?

Is there a place I'm not seeing with the rules editor that allows this, or is this just something that's beyond the editor and must be handled manually?

If you're using FP Desktop, then you must already have a Graphic rule set up to invoke the FP Expression template. So you can simply edit that rule and click "Convert to JavaScript", and then edit the code. Or you can create a new JavaScript "Empty Rule" of type Graphic and paste the code in there.