Defeat regular Output when using FusionPro.Composition.outputFileFullPathName

I've created a rule for OnNewOupputFile that directs appropriately named files to a specific directory, and that works great. The problem is that identical files are also being generated in the default Output directory.

Is it possible to defeat redundant file creation in the Output folder?

I just tried this and I'm only seeing the files specified in the rule being generated, and no others anywhere else.

Some questions:

1. What versions of FusionPro and the OS?
  2. Do you have the "Output to multiple files" box checked on the Output tab of the Composition Settings?
  3. What exactly do you mean by the "default Output directory"?
  4. Does this problem occur with all jobs, or just with a particular one?

What versions of FusionPro and the OS?

FP: 10.0.16

Desktop: Win 10

Server: I don't know

Do you have the "Output to multiple files" box checked on the Output tab of the Composition Settings? Yes; one file per record.

What exactly do you mean by the "default Output directory"?

FP Producer (or Server, or whatever PTI is calling it these days) puts all of its output in a specified "Output" folder; that's what I'm referring to.

Does this problem occur with all jobs, or just with a particular one?

This is the first time I've used the OnNewOutputFile callback, so just this one so far.

What versions of FusionPro and the OS?

FP: 10.0.16

Desktop: Win 10

Server: I don't know

So, you're submitting the job to another machine via Producer or Server? That's certainly relevant.

More questions:

1. To exactly what system are you submitting the job? Is it Producer (via the "Use FusionPro Producer" check box in the Composition Settings)? Or to some other system using FP Server?
  2. What happens if you compose the job locally, directly from FP Creator in Acrobat? Does the output go where you expect?
  3. What is the version of FusionPro on the composition server? You can simply open the output in Acrobat and select File -> Properties, and it will tell you the version of FusionPro used to make the PDF. You should also be able to access the composition log file. (There's a View Log button in the Producer Monitor app.)

What exactly do you mean by the "default Output directory"?

FP Producer (or Server, or whatever PTI is calling it these days) puts all of its output in a specified "Output" folder; that's what I'm referring to.

Thanks, but I need you to be even more specific than that. If you're using Producer, there's no "specified" or "regular" output folder, but there are some specific paths that get set in the Producer Configuration app. There's the Working Folder where all jobs go, but you don't usually see that.

There may also be a "Printer Hot Folder" set up in the Producer Configuration. If that's the case, then ALL output files get COPIED to this hot folder, regardless of where they're written, and also regardless of whether the output is redirected with JavaScript.

So, I'll bet that you have a Printer Hot Folder set up in Producer, and that all your output is being copied there. That's by design.

To exactly what system are you submitting the job? Is it Producer (via the "Use FusionPro Producer" check box in the Composition Settings)?
Yes.

What happens if you compose the job locally, directly from FP Creator in Acrobat? Does the output go where you expect?

I don't know; I (almost) never compose on the desktop.

What is the version of FusionPro on the composition server?

Thanks, but I need you to be even more specific than that. If you're using Producer, there's no "specified" or "regular" output folder, but there are some specific paths that get set in the Producer Configuration app. There's the Working Folder where all jobs go, but you don't usually see that.

I'm guessing that what you're calling the Working folder is our Output folder. It's where we look for the output of all Producer composition.

There may also be a "Printer Hot Folder" set up in the Producer Configuration. If that's the case, then ALL output files get COPIED to this hot folder, regardless of where they're written, and also regardless of whether the output is redirected with JavaScript.

We have no hot folders.

So, I'll bet that you have a Printer Hot Folder set up in Producer, and that all your output is being copied there. That's by design.

Can this behavior be toggled for a particular job?

Yes.

I don't know; I (almost) never compose on the desktop.

Well, can you give it a try and see what happens?

I'm guessing that what you're calling the Working folder is our Output folder. It's where we look for the output of all Producer composition.

No, that's not what I mean. The Working folder is defined right at the top of the General Setup tab in the Producer Configuration app on the Scheduler machine. But it's not an "output folder." The outputs go into each job's specific subfolder under the Working fglder, not all in one common place. UNLESS you have a Hot Folder defined on the Queue Configuration tab of that Producer Configuration app, in which case all the output submitted to that queue gets copied to that hot folder.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "our Output folder." If you're looking for all your output there, then it must be defined somewhere. Where do you think that folder is specified?

We have no hot folders.

Are you sure about that? Have you checked the Producer Configuration app? Because what you're describing to me as "where we look for the output of all Producer composition" sure sounds like a hot folder.

Can you check the log file from one of your Producer jobs and see if it has a line in it starting with "Copied file:"? That denotes that the output has been copied to the hot folder. (Again, you can use the View Log button in the Producer Monitor app.)

Can this behavior be toggled for a particular job?

No. But the hot folder is specific to a queue. So you can define multiple queues, and have one with a hot folder and another without a hot folder. Then when you submit the job to Producer, you can select whichever queue you want from the drop-down list in the Composition Settings.

You've opened my eyes to some functionality of Producer that I need to explore.

I didn't have access to the Producer configuration utility, so got our IT folks to give me a remote login. Now I can understand what you're referring to when you speak of Hot Folders and the Working folder (they happen to be configured as 'Output' and 'Submitted' respectively on our system).

As it turns out, my immediate need has passed; I couldn't stop production while we had our discussion. However, I'm grateful for the enlightenment that resulted. Your patience is much appreciated!

You've opened my eyes to some functionality of Producer that I need to explore.

I didn't have access to the Producer configuration utility, so got our IT folks to give me a remote login. Now I can understand what you're referring to when you speak of Hot Folders and the Working folder (they happen to be configured as 'Output' and 'Submitted' respectively on our system).

As it turns out, my immediate need has passed; I couldn't stop production while we had our discussion. However, I'm grateful for the enlightenment that resulted. Your patience is much appreciated!

Glad I could help. Jargon is always hard to navigate. Fortunately, we never change the names of our products. Or our company. :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Simple question. I have tried to use the outputfilefullpathname with onnewoutput file and have never been able to get a custom output path to work on the server, either with hot folders or producer. Does this function work on templates running from server? The only way I can get this to run is using the command line interface. I can use this but I'd prefer to use the hot folder if it works now.

Im running 10.0.37 desktop (mac) and 10.0.16 server with 10.1.2 Dashboard