Overflow page issue

jmidland

I don't understand your situation. I don't get how a variable frame on an overflow template page would appear under the page. Would it be possible to post your template (and maybe some sample data) for a visual?

I have attahed a testbook output sample. I placed small images in the space were the variable barcode is placed. If you look at the 1st page the image is under the barcode and on the overflow pages the image is on top of the barcode. The reason this is an issue is when my customer uses pages that are tiffs they will cover the barcodes other wise I would just place them were there is no image. Thanks for any help.

testbook.pdf

Is it just a layering issue? If you select a variable frame in Acrobat, you can go to the FusionPro menu and choose "Layers..." and then bring the selected frame forward or move it backward. The "Document Overview" palette shows the current order with the frame at top of list being lowest layer on your template. Of course, if a frame overlapping a lower frame contains an opaque image (like a TIFF) it will knockout the contents of a frame beneath it.

I had already ensured that the frames were on top and also rechecked and tried again with the same results. I believe it is something with the overflow process causes the overflow pages to re-order the layering. Thanks, Jmidland

• 1 year later...

Interestingly, almost exactly a year later, I am having the exact opposite problem. jmidland's example shows that the graphic frame is "correctly" beneath the barcode on the first page, but "incorrectly" coming to the front on the overflow pages.

The problem I am having now is that my overflow text frame becomes the top-most element on the overflow page instead of the bottom-most item as it is setup. The first page images correctly.

I am thinking that this is a potential bug regarding layering on overflow pages, but I may try using a graphic frame instead of a text frame to solve my problem assuming graphics frames are automatically imaged as top-most frames on overflow pages. That would potentially explain why jmidland and I are experiencing exact opposite problems.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Bump

I've been having this issue for years, and it hasn't been a problem until now. I've specified on the text page and overflow pages that the text insertion frame be at the back, empty graphic box (filled with 100% white, covers up footer text) in the middle, and a watermark graphic on top. The first page honors that layering, but like esmith mentioned on May 25th, 2011, the overflow text frame is being made the front-most frame. This hasn't been a huge deal until now, since the footer text in the overflow text frame is no longer covered.

I already had an email open with graphics support, and they just replied back, saying that this scenario is a known bug within FusionPro. Ticket #FP104-19 has been sent to engineering. Hopefully this will get straightened out soon!

Archived