Overprinting a stroke

jmerrick0657

I have some text that I need to overprint, however I just need to overprint the stroke. Anyone know how to do this?

You might try using a color that is set to Overprint.

FusionPro > Advanced > Colors... > (New or Edit) > check the Overprint box. Then, apply the color to your stroke.

I tried that, I setup two different colors, set one to the text color and one as the stroke color; with just the stroke color set to overprint using this rule:

if (Field("Phone") != '')

return '<z newsize="6.3"><setwidth newsize="7"><color name="Text Color"><stroke color="Text Color Overprint" width="25"><i>p</i></stroke><t><z newsize="7">' + Rule("FormatPhone");

else return '';

It applied the correct color to the text fill and the correct color to the text stroke, however it set both the fill and the stroke to overprint. However, when I look at other text in the output that has the same fill color, but no stroke it does not overprint.

It applied the correct color to the text fill and the correct color to the text stroke, however it set both the fill and the stroke to overprint. However, when I look at other text in the output that has the same fill color, but no stroke it does not overprint.

I'm able to reproduce this as well.

When a stroke is applied to text, it appears that the text color takes on the Overprint setting of the stroke color and not visa versa.

Not sure if this is a bug?

When a stroke is applied to text, it appears that the text color takes on the Overprint setting of the stroke color and not visa versa.

Not sure if this is a bug?

I guess that could be considered a bug. Although frankly, I'm not sure what requirement to write the bug against. I don't think that scenario has ever occurred to anyone here, to have text in one color with a stroke in a different color, where those two colors have different Overprint/Knockout settings. It might depend on the output format (PDF, PostScript, etc.).

I guess that could be considered a bug. Although frankly, I'm not sure what requirement to write the bug against. I don't think that scenario has ever occurred to anyone here, to have text in one color with a stroke in a different color, where those two colors have different Overprint/Knockout settings. It might depend on the output format (PDF, PostScript, etc.).

I'd tend to agree. I've never had a need to do something like this in 8+ years of using FusionPro.

Maybe the need was to have the fill and stroke be the same color, but only have the stroke overprint? I can't fathom why. Maybe to create a trap? Probably not. Automated trapping software is very common today.