Layers - Variable image always prints on top

StorterChilds

I am trying to make a calendar that has a screened variable image in the backround. I created everything in InDesign CS3. I created a variable image frame on the bottom most layer. Next I put a 50% white screen box over that using the effects in InDesign. This allows the image to look faded. Next I created the calendar day in 100% black. The preview looks great in InDesign but when I open the file in Acrobat, the variable image is on TOP of everything.

How do I make it stay on the bottom layer?

Scott Brown

Right now I only have a few because this is a test but I could have as many as a 1000. I know I would be able to screen the image in Photoshop if I had to but the real problem is the calendar days that are placed over the top of the variable image. The image appears on top of the days when I open it in FusionPro. I tried to move the layer to the back in Acrobat but that didn't work.

Scott

yeah, I hear ya.

I would probably manipulate the image in Photoshop and have your text box over your graphic box. If you end-up manipulating a lot of images in the future just to get it to work, do you know how to use the automated/batch processing in Photoshop?

Good luck.

I am trying to make a calendar that has a screened variable image in the backround. I created everything in InDesign CS3. I created a variable image frame on the bottom most layer. Next I put a 50% white screen box over that using the effects in InDesign. This allows the image to look faded. Next I created the calendar day in 100% black. The preview looks great in InDesign but when I open the file in Acrobat, the variable image is on TOP of everything.

How do I make it stay on the bottom layer?

Scott Brown

Transparency will not carry forward from InDesign as variable data. If you are placing full strength images in ID (as a variable to swap images) and adding a transparent box over them, it will not work. You WILL have to make the ghost images in Photoshop and place them in FusionPro. XMPie is the only VDP product that can do this because they use InDesign's print engine to produce the content. But, then you have to deal with all of the other oddities of XMPie.

Photoshop batch actions will eat up 1,000 images in no time. It's not a stumbling block.

Thanks for the tip. I think I also got the information I need from tech support. One thing I was trying to do it use InDesign static elements on top of FP variable element. I was told the only way to achieve this is to create another variable box in FP and move the items in the layers if needed. I am going to try that later today.

Scott

But, then you have to deal with all of the other oddities of XMPie.

Yeah, having to deal with 2GB:eek: files each in a large run, say 500 per batch. Even if FusionPro could do this, I would think that either the file size would be too large for Ripping or the time to produce the file would be too long. I remember running one job in XMPie and there was a hidden transparency effect. That drove me nuts.

Archived