How to Properly Link a .txt file and define Fields

Ok, so im pretty new at FusionPro. I've done quite a few jobs here and there, most basic but some pretty extensive.

So far I've only used .csv excel type files as my data source. Now I have a large customer and that wants me to do some signage for them and they have sent me a .txt file that has all of the data for the signs. I can't figure out how to "properly" linked the data file, ie flat file, delimited or what; and I don't know how to define the fields so the .pdf sign templates can be populated.

They also need to be printed by sign type and store number and so they need to be organized in a way that this would be possible. I'm not sure where to even begin with this. Any help is greatly appreciated and needed.

Thanks

JCrocker

A .txt file could be anything, so you need to start with how the data is actually arranged in the file. What is separating the fields? Are there commas, tabs, pipes (looks like |), or even tildes (~)? This would be a delimited file.

Another possibility is fixed length (there are extra spaces so that each column of data always starts in the same position).

Example:

Number     FirstName         LastName
0001       John              Doe
0002       Sample            Sample

Depending on how the data file is structured and how much sorting/arranging has to be done, you may have to do some additional processing before sending through FP.

JCrocker,

You need to look at the TXT file and see what the delimiter is. Delimiter, just mean seperator, so how are the fields and values separated? In a CSV file it is comma separated values (CSV). TXT files can use comma, tabs, semi-colon or other delimiters. When you define your data, select: Specify data source > Flat File (Delimited) > Set the appropriate delimiter, in most cases the first row contains the field names (if not you will need to define them). Then navigate to and select the TXT file.

As far as managing your print by sign and store number, you will need to manipulate the data as needed. If you right click the TXT file, you can "Open with..." Excel and manage the data in Excel if you are more comfortable there.

Hope this helps

It appears that it is a Pipe delimited file. There is a problem bringing it into FP as it doesn't recognize the fields correctly. I talked with alex marshall and he seemed to be able to get it to view the fields correctly but on my end it only recognizes the different records as fields, not the fields themselves.

I did just discover something though. If i continue on to input options and delete all the fields and then manually add fields, 1-31 one at a time it recognizes them. There has got to be a better way to go about this as this would take quite some time to do manually every time i link thousands of records and files.

I've attatched a sample file to show what im working with and a screenshot of the preview selector to show what i'm getting and what im getting after doing it manually.

Signs_00001_725358.txt

AutoFP.jpg.9fcc3ed8edc2ac57cc12ee98b0b0240f.jpg

Manually.jpg.a37d9ed1bb43a989f9109789216aa61f.jpg

In the import Wizard, when you get to Define Data Source, make sure you un-check "First Row Contains Field Names". Doing that, I had no problem importing your example file.

Also, I noticed that the last line of the file appears to be just a record total. You can manually edit the text file and remove that last line before importing to avoid an extra blank sign (and warnings about missing fields).

Define_Data_Source.png.1b4e80c9c99fb4974b66670b9e484bd5.png

Thanks David, thats just strange, That is how I was importing it but I still have to perform the workaround to get it to see the fields correctly. Now deleting the last line is a great idea which i will definately do.

At this point however im trying to figure out the best way to merge between 2 and 700 different delimited.txt files just like the example you have seen into one large delimited file so as to only have one per sign type to link with FP instead of potentially 700 for each sign type.

I've downloaded a seemingly very thin piece of software from cnet which combines files but I've only got a few files work with at this time. When it comes to combineing 1,000 delimited files into one I'm not sure it's going to be able to handle it.

Any ideas or more suggestions about how to go about this is greatly appreciated.

At this point however im trying to figure out the best way to merge between 2 and 700 different delimited.txt files just like the example you have seen into one large delimited file so as to only have one per sign type to link with FP instead of potentially 700 for each sign type.

Any ideas or more suggestions about how to go about this is greatly appreciated.

A simple Filemaker Database/Script works great. I built a solution that was used to import thousands of records each day.. Especially if your data has the same structure. Could provide a standalone runtime if interested... Like attachment.. The attachment is done using your data..

Picture1.png.26d8f649ccaa8a92acad5344c6e9fa2c.png

That sounds pretty good but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. Unfortunately my programming skills are very limited or next to none. Let me give you some more info.. you may be able to help me out with.

I'm working on this large signage project. Now before I even get to the point where I need these large quantities of files combined they have to be separated by a sign type designator. At least twice.

Right now from what I know the level 1 designator, as I will call it, will split the current data into four groups. This is Field seventeen.

Then the four groups must be divided by another designator which I believe is field 21 or 23, I'm working with the customer to figure out which.

I'm picturing a tree of folders. Dropping all of the files into a folder which separates into four folders based of of the sign designator. Then those four folder separate the data into 4-5 folders each, dependant upon how many different layouts of that sign type, using field 21 or 23.

Once separated I then need to combine whats in each of these final folders into one large .txt file to link to FP to print. I think there is an easy solution using batch files and folders, I just don't know how to go about getting there.

Anyone with Ideas?

That sounds pretty good but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. Unfortunately my programming skills are very limited or next to none.

Anyone with Ideas?

That's where I come in.. I can help you with taking the poorly formatted data, pour it in to a solution and export out the data in the form that you need it. No more effort than that required. I've developed several solutions over the years to deal with the problem you describe. It's a pretty complex problem but it solveable as long as 2 things are explicitly defined. One is the exact form the data is provided and the second is the exact format it is to be exported.

If this is a one time project, it is probably not worth the time to develop a solution. If it is a recurring project, it could be. From what you have provided so far, I do not see it being a huge deal.

If you wish to pursue, send my a PM here with off list contact info and we can take this off list so we don't bore everyone here. We can post the results so anyone else with a similar project can benefit as well..

Let me know...

Archived