Go Back   MarcomCentral (PTI) and FusionPro User Communities > Software-Related Talk > The JavaScript Library > Formatting Text

Notices

Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:51 AM
Junior Community Member

Default Re: Inserting Multi-page PDF variable graphics

I am using this template quite often. This job I am working on includes multiple pdfs that we are combining that are kits. I have a kit number in my database that I would like to print on the very last page of all the PDF's I insert. Is there a way to do this with this template? I tried added a text box to the overflow page and every page but the first page has the kit number that I added. This will not work. I need onlly the last page to have the kit number.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:08 PM
FusionPro Senior Engineer / Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky10ss View Post
I am using this template quite often. This job I am working on includes multiple pdfs that we are combining that are kits. I have a kit number in my database that I would like to print on the very last page of all the PDF's I insert. Is there a way to do this with this template? I tried added a text box to the overflow page and every page but the first page has the kit number that I added. This will not work. I need onlly the last page to have the kit number.
Yes, this could be done with some changes to the sample template. Instead of simply adding the <graphic> tags to the markup for the overflow pages, you could use an FPRepeatableComponent to call out a Template Page, which could have multiple frames on it: one Graphic frame to hold the page, and one Text frame to show your kit number, which you would only set on the last page of each PDF (when pageLoop == pagesInPDF in the rule). I don't have the time to actually set this up right now, but maybe someone else can pick up the ball and run with it.
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@marcom.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@marcom.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs.

This is a publicly viewable forum. Please DO NOT post fonts, or other proprietary content, to this forum. Also, please DO NOT post any "live" data with real names, addresses, or any other personal, private, or confidential data.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});
Old November 8th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Senior Contributor

So I am a huge novice in the javascript writing. I downloaded the zip file to try and see if I could get your template to work. From what I can tell all I should need to do to get your template to work correctly is change the "pathtoallPDFs" location correct. I tried this and the expression is OK but doesn't return anything.
Old November 8th, 2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreimer View Post
So I am a huge novice in the javascript writing. I downloaded the zip file to try and see if I could get your template to work. From what I can tell all I should need to do to get your template to work correctly is change the "pathtoallPDFs" location correct. I tried this and the expression is OK but doesn't return anything.
If it's not returning anything, then you don't have the path right. If it's got any backslashes, try using forward slashes instead.
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@marcom.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@marcom.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs.

This is a publicly viewable forum. Please DO NOT post fonts, or other proprietary content, to this forum. Also, please DO NOT post any "live" data with real names, addresses, or any other personal, private, or confidential data.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});
Old November 8th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry, I didn't read the previous post to well. I took the path out of the rule and used the path in the advanced tab and it is working now. Thanks, I will use this often if I can figure out the language to adjust to my jobs.
Old November 16th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

So, I'm using the template you provided and I get the graphics in great. The problem is I want to put and address block and a 2D barcode on the second page, but my text boxes are resulting in nothing. I have 14,000 pdfs and they are all 2 pagers so if there is a different way to pull in the PDFs as two pagers instead of having to seperate them all into two pagers and having a front page and back page rule I can try that. Just not sure why with the current multi-page template I can't get any text boxes to return anything.

I am running Windows XP with acrobat 8 and FP desktop version 5.1P1d

Thanks
Old November 16th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

It seems to be that I'm unable to insert text boxes on pages that are overflow pages. Is that correct? If I move my text boxes to the first page they work fine.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:15 PM
Junior Community Member

Ok,

I got this sample to work, and then with that knowledge applied it to my job.

I have a few questions...

1) Why is the text box on the overflow page larger than the actual page in acrobat?
2) Why is the box offset (Y coordinate is -.15")?
3) When I print (or distill) the .ps file created all of the landscape pages are correctly imposed to portrait, but they seem to be both offset and stretched, and actually run off the page.
Old February 24th, 2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
1) Why is the text box on the overflow page larger than the actual page in acrobat?
Because you're bringing in the page of the external PDF as an inline graphic in a text frame, so it has to basically be typeset like a really large text character. So the text frame has to be slightly larger than the text. Note that the text frame is actually larger than the body page itself, so the output is still 8.5 by 11 inches.
Quote:
2) Why is the box offset (Y coordinate is -.15")?
I think that's just a glitch in the sample. It can be set to zero and the job will work just fine.
Quote:
3) When I print (or distill) the .ps file created all of the landscape pages are correctly imposed to portrait, but they seem to be both offset and stretched, and actually run off the page.
I think that's just a matter of getting the printer driver or Distiller settings right. Feel free to send the files to Support for analysis.
LinkedIn

Old June 26th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Junior Community Member

Using this rule to place 8.5 x 11 PDF files that may or may not have .125" bleed. I am getting mixed results as far as the art centering in the text box. I have been using alignh and alignv with mixed results. I also noticed that in the supplied code you use position="afterline". If I remove that the horizontal positioning works perfect, however the art is top aligned in the box. I do not see any documentation on 'position' in the tag reference or user's guide. Any way to just center without scaling regardless of bleed box dimensions? See section of code below.

Code:
    //This is the secondary loop for this script.
    //It will loop through and create markup for each page in the PDF.
    for (pageLoop = 1; pageLoop <= pagesInPDF; pageLoop++)
    {
        markupToReturn += '<graphic file="' + PDFresourceRef.name + '" pagenumber = "' + pageLoop + '" scale="off" alignh="center" alignv="center" />';

markupToReturn += '<P>';
    }
CS5