Go Back   MarcomCentral (PTI) and FusionPro User Communities > Software-Related Talk > The JavaScript Library > Formatting Text

Notices

Old July 20th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Junior Community Member

Default Hard Justify rule?

I have to recreate a card online and the designer has chosen to adjust tracking per line to essentially do a hard right and left justify. Of course, there are variables within each line... I am hoping there is a rule within javascript that can help me achieve this. Any ideas?

Last edited by GailUdell; July 20th, 2010 at 11:08 AM..
Old July 20th, 2010, 11:54 AM
esmith
This message has been deleted by esmith.
Old July 20th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Default Re: Hard Justify rule?

The variable text editor includes an option for justified text. I don't know that I've ever applied it to a frame returning variable text in FP though.
FP 9.3.6, MAC OSX 10.9.4, Acrobat 11.0.09
Old July 20th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Junior Community Member

Here is the bottom of the card. Every line of her InDesign file has a different tracking. To add to that, there is the option of a cell number in which the phone headers change to a single letter (p/c/f) and the tracking then changes again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BCbottomSample.jpg (30.6 KB, 21 views)
Acrobat X Pro, FP 7.2P1k
Old July 20th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Junior Community Member

I did use the "Justify" tool, but I guess it only works on paragraphs? Since I have a return at the end of each line, it only makes it left justified.
Acrobat X Pro, FP 7.2P1k
Old July 20th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Regular Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailUdell View Post
I did use the "Justify" tool, but I guess it only works on paragraphs? Since I have a return at the end of each line, it only makes it left justified.
Does it work if you put in a soft return instead of a hard return?
Old July 20th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Junior Community Member

I don't think I can do that. The address line is fixed, so I think I can just set the tracking on that. The phone numbers line is a single rule, but I think I can extend that rule to accommodate different tracking based on two or three phone numbers (saw how I could do that with javascript in another thread... just need to find it again) and the final line - the email - will just have to be justified left. What a rotten design!
Acrobat X Pro, FP 7.2P1k
Old July 21st, 2010, 01:14 AM
Regular Contributor

Quote:
I don't think I can do that. The address line is fixed, so I think I can just set the tracking on that. The phone numbers line is a single rule, but I think I can extend that rule to accommodate different tracking based on two or three phone numbers (saw how I could do that with javascript in another thread... just need to find it again) and the final line - the email - will just have to be justified left. What a rotten design!
Seems FP doesn't behave as I'd expected! My solution would have worked except FP applies spacing between each word rather than each character with no apparent options to change that behaviour.

I've used some software called PageFlex and I could do exactly what you want to achieve in that so thought FP would be the same.

Hope you get it sorted!
Old July 21st, 2010, 10:03 AM
Junior Community Member

Since this is for web, this is all I have. :0 I think I can make it work. Thanks for trying...
Acrobat X Pro, FP 7.2P1k
Old July 29th, 2010, 11:18 AM
FusionPro Senior Engineer / Forum Moderator

Quote:
and the final line - the email - will just have to be justified left. What a rotten design!
This is the way that "full justification" works in the Text Editor: the last line of the paragraph is left-justified. Look at the last line of a paragraph in a newspaper, or try it in any word processor. Admittedly, since you're not formatting a newspaper column or a similar "flow" of text, your needs are different, but any other design would be non-standard and more confusing to users who expect it to work the way that it does.

That said, there are several things you can do:
  1. You can put a "soft return" at the end of the last line by holding down the shift key and hitting Enter. This will force justification on the previous line. If you don't want the extra whitespace from the empty line, type a space, select it, and set its point size to 1. Note that this solution requires no JavaScript or tagging.
  2. You can use a tag such as <p br=false quad=JJ> (note the double "J") to force full justification on every line of the paragraph, including the last line. You can return this tag from a JavaScript rule and place the variable before the line of text.
  3. You can "fake out" a line with something left-justified and something else right-justified by putting a tag like <p leading=1 quad=R> between the two items.
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@marcom.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@marcom.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs.

This is a publicly viewable forum. Please DO NOT post fonts, or other proprietary content, to this forum. Also, please DO NOT post any "live" data with real names, addresses, or any other personal, private, or confidential data.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});
Old July 29th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Junior Community Member

Thanks so much Dan - I will give these a shot.
Acrobat X Pro, FP 7.2P1k