Go Back   MarcomCentral (PTI) and FusionPro User Communities > Software-Related Talk > The JavaScript Library > Formatting Text

Notices

Old October 7th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Junior Community Member

Default A single text frame with mutlipe column settings?

Howdy All -

I have a large text frame on a flyer - what we want is it to have the top section be one column and the bottom section be two columns. We want this to be in a single text frame so it can properly be center justified within the entire text frame and adjusted to fit in the same text frame.

Ideas? Thanks!

~Mark
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Default Re: A single text frame with mutlipe column settings?

Why not have a separate frame for the top (single column) data which extends from top to center of flyer. Then create two separate frames on bottom half extending from center to bottom and spaced equally left to right. Set the top frame to bottom-alignment, centered. Set two lower frames to top alignment, centered. Text in all three frames will be sandwiched together and spread out toward top and bottom as necessary.

Without trying it out myself, I further wonder if one could have the upper frame overlap the bottom two frames (so that it's bottom edge was lower than center of flyer). Then set the upper frame to center align top-to-bottom and enable runaround for the bottom two frames. If the content of the upper frame needs to extend below the halfway point, the text in two lower columns would be forced down to compensate. (This is assuming that the upper portion contains the "headline" information, meant to be read primary to the content of the two lower frames.)

I know -- no JS in my solution. If I'm completely missing the goal/point, could you post a PDF showing what you would "like" the final output to look like with an equivalent amount of text in each area to what the data would contain?
FP 9.3.6, MAC OSX 10.9.4, Acrobat 11.0.09
Old October 8th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Junior Community Member

Oh i think we are on the same page on what they are wanted. Your solution is almost exactly what it is posted as now.

What they are running into is that the horizontal center of these 2 parts is fixed - though they are finding they need more variability in where that horizontal center is.

The top part may be 2-6 lines of text and the two column portion may be 3-10 lines and they wanted that horizonatal center to dynamically be placed between the two different parts. It would also allow them a more uniform shrink to fit inbetween the 3 different frames.

Any way to change the number of columns within a single text box?
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Senior Contributor

You can change the number of columns, but not mid-flow as far as I know. What about setting up tabs for the bottom half of template?
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Junior Community Member

close - i should have included what they were doing in the bottom coulmn

in the bottom portion they cut and paste bullet points from word - and those bullets frequenty wrap more that one line - and they wrap in their own text box or column correctly
Old October 12th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Senior Contributor

I am attaching a FusionPro template with my solution. See if it might work for your situation. Thanks to your question, I am learning how to incorporate tables into my templates.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MultiColumns_fp.pdf (40.5 KB, 81 views)
Old October 12th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Junior Community Member

HEY! i think this is going to work for them! eric the guru - thank you sir!

i will use the table with just a couple of changes, but i think the table is the way this can get done. i am going to have just 2 multiline text resources that they paste there data in - column 1 and column 2 and not individuals for bullets - mainly because that is hwo they are used to enterning their data.

thanks again!
Old October 12th, 2009, 10:47 AM
FusionPro Senior Engineer / Forum Moderator

You can set up a frame with multiple columns and use the <p paragraphplacement="straddleall"> tag to switch to single-column mode. This is useful for a headline-type effect.
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@marcom.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@marcom.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs.

This is a publicly viewable forum. Please DO NOT post fonts, or other proprietary content, to this forum. Also, please DO NOT post any "live" data with real names, addresses, or any other personal, private, or confidential data.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});
Old October 12th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Regular Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Korn View Post
You can set up a frame with multiple columns and use the <p paragraphplacement="straddleall"> tag to switch to single-column mode. This is useful for a headline-type effect.
Dan, is there an updated Tag Reference Guide we can download? Mine does not make reference to this attribute of the <p> tag.
Old October 12th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Korn View Post
You better have a good excuse for waiting until now to share that information. You know how long I searched the documentation for something like that?