Go Back   MarcomCentral (PTI) and FusionPro User Communities > Software-Related Talk > The JavaScript Library > Formatting Text

Notices

Old December 11th, 2015, 05:34 PM
FusionPro Senior Engineer / Forum Moderator

Default Re: Switching Fonts in a template

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel View Post
Does it help any to know that all the CJK fonts that are useable except for Arial Unicode preview in FusionPro with the latin characters collapsed like this? https://www.dropbox.com/s/qoi3xvu35z...%20PM.png?dl=0
No, just looking at that picture of the output doesn't help me figure out anything. I already said that I would need to look at your Arial Unicode MS font, the actual font file, and that you should contact Support to get instructions to upload it to our FTP site.
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@marcom.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@marcom.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs.

This is a publicly viewable forum. Please DO NOT post fonts, or other proprietary content, to this forum. Also, please DO NOT post any "live" data with real names, addresses, or any other personal, private, or confidential data.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});
Old December 11th, 2015, 06:02 PM
Regular Contributor

Thanks Dan. I picked Droid Fallback because of this article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CJK_fonts

They list Arial unicode MS and Droid San Fallback as Pan-Unicode fonts which is what I'm looking for because we have locations around the world that want to type in english and their native languages. Since I couldn't get the Arial unicode MS to work, I tried other fonts like that.

I've also tried using Adobe Acrobat XI, but still had the same problem with Arial unicode.

I've emailed the fonts to support.
Old December 15th, 2015, 12:15 PM
Regular Contributor

find anything weird with my version of arial unicode ms?
Old December 15th, 2015, 03:44 PM

Thanks. I got your fonts.
Quote:
find anything weird with my version of arial unicode ms?
No, there's nothing weird about your version of Arial Unicode MS. It's actually exactly the same version that I have on my development Mac, which was installed as part of Microsoft Office for Mac 2011.

And I am able to reproduce the problem where a job collected from my Mac, using that same Arial Unicode MS font, does not compose properly in FusionPro Server on Windows using the collected Assets.dat. I'm currently investigating this problem as my top priority.

I'm actually surprised that this problem hasn't been seen before. Part of my investigation is forensics to determine whether this is a regression from an older version.

I don't know how long this investigation will take, nor how long it will take to have a new build with a fix installed on MarcomCentral. (This all would have gone faster if you had worked with Support in the first place, but we're on it now.)

For now, the workaround is to use the other Assets.dat provided by Graphics.

I am also able to reproduce the problems where certain fonts do not load on the Mac, specifically some of the fonts installed with OS X such as the Apple SD Gothic Neo family. I'm investigating this as well, with a slightly lower priority than the Arial Unicode MS problem. (Again, you seem to have uncovered a problem that slipped by not only our internal testing, but thousands of other users, for quite some time now.)
Quote:
I picked Droid Fallback because of this article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CJK_fonts
I see. I still consider that Droid Sans Fallback font to be malformed, and therefore FusionPro's failure to load it to not be a bug.

I'm still looking at the Noto fonts, but I suspect that those not are completely well-formed either.
Quote:
They list Arial unicode MS and Droid San Fallback as Pan-Unicode fonts which is what I'm looking for because we have locations around the world that want to type in english and their native languages.
Yeah, it sure would be nice if more fonts were universal in that regard, wouldn't it? Unfortunately, people who design fonts rarely design them with VDP (variable data) in mind, especially variable data in Unicode from any possible language.

The expectation among font designers is that users will pick different fonts for different languages, such as a Japanese-specific font for Japanese text, in a static design program such as InDesign, not that there will be something like a web form entry where a user can type just about anything for the data.

The other issue is that such "Pan-Unicode" fonts, which can support a wide array of Unicode glyphs in multiple languages, tend to be rather large, and often do not give users of all of those languages much choice in variations of glyph appearances. For instance, someone who is designing a document in Japanese will probably want to be able to pick from a set of Japanese typefaces, just like an English speaker will want to pick from among many various fonts.

Some applications will silently substitute or switch to a different font than the one chosen by the user for text that the font doesn't support. However, it's hard for a VDP application to do this, as we don't really want to change the font specified by the VDP template designer behind their back, as they likely won't notice the change in composed output right away like they would just from typing into an on-screen editor.

So this is actually a big problem in our increasingly globalized variable data industry. But VDP templates are almost always designed with the expectation that the data will have certain limitations and constraints, a very common example of which being that a template designed by an English speaker will be run with English, or at least Western, data. Large multinational companies who use MarcomCentral to generate marketing materials for multiple countries tend to have specific versions of templates for different markets and languages.

(Even in your template, what happens if the user types a mixture of, say, English and Arabic? Now you get into much more complicated scenarios of mixing left-to-right and right-to-left text, and there isn't always a single "right" answer of what to do in that kind of situation. It's just not possible to be able to anticipate every possible thing that an arbitrary user could enter as data.)

Even PDF itself doesn't make it easy to just swap out fonts for Unicode data, as encodings are either language-specific or based on glyph IDs instead of Unicode code points.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. I think that what you're trying to do just isn't really easy to accomplish given current font technology. But (other than typing this) I am working on analyzing the problem with Arial Unicode MS, and I hope to find a fix.
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@marcom.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@marcom.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs.

This is a publicly viewable forum. Please DO NOT post fonts, or other proprietary content, to this forum. Also, please DO NOT post any "live" data with real names, addresses, or any other personal, private, or confidential data.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});
Old December 15th, 2015, 04:45 PM

Here's an interesting article which talks about why there are not really any truly all-encompassing Unicode fonts:
http://www.johndcook.com/blog/2010/0...unicode-fonts/

There's a link from there to a font called "Unifont", although I would read the license terms for that font carefully before using it in a VDP template.
LinkedIn

Last edited by Dan Korn; December 15th, 2015 at 05:03 PM..
Old December 18th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your continued serious look into this issue and for your well thought out and honest explanation. I learned a lot from it. Good to know that this effort might help others out there. Looking forward to the solve, I know it's in good hands. Merry Christmas!