Go Back   MarcomCentral (PTI) and FusionPro User Communities > Software-Related Talk > FusionPro® VDP Creator

Notices

Old February 8th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Forum n00b

Default Ballot box problem

Macintosh OS X 10.6.8
Acrobat X 10.1.2
Fusion Pro Desktop 7.2P1k
In font Myriad Pro there is a glyph for ballot box. I can't get that to work at all when previewing or composing in a Fusion Pro Desktop variable text box.
I tried using the ballot box in Universal News with Commercial Pi font (capital M). No dice.
Then I tried using ballot boxes from Zapf Dingbats (lower case o and p). These work when on a line by themselves but not on a line with other static text and variables formatted using Myriad Pro. Composition system generates message: "Text processing is limited to Latin-1/MacRoman characters only. Go to Compose->Advanced tab to remove the limitation."
Unfortunately, the Advanced tab doesn't have any way to remove the limitation!
This should be simple, why is it not? It's only formatting text.
Old February 8th, 2012, 12:10 PM
FusionPro Senior Engineer / Forum Moderator

Default Re: Ballot box problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spangler prepress View Post
Composition system generates message: "Text processing is limited to Latin-1/MacRoman characters only. Go to Compose->Advanced tab to remove the limitation."
Unfortunately, the Advanced tab doesn't have any way to remove the limitation!
When you click "Compose," it brings up the Composition Settings dialog. On the Advanced tab of that dialog is a check box with the caption "Limit processing to MacRoman text." Uncheck that box.
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@marcom.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@marcom.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs.

This is a publicly viewable forum. Please DO NOT post fonts, or other proprietary content, to this forum. Also, please DO NOT post any "live" data with real names, addresses, or any other personal, private, or confidential data.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});
Old April 25th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Regular Contributor

Hello,

I am running into a similar problem.

I have a ballot box on 4 lines. At first they would not show up in the preview or composition. I unchecked "Limit processing to MacRoman text." in the advanced settings tab. Now the ballot boxes are displaying as two rectangular boxes rather than a single square box.

I also tried inserting it as a couple of rules.
Code:
return '<unicode>2610</unicode>'
 //shows up in validate box but not in preview or compose
and
Code:
return '☐'
//shows up as ☐ in validate box, but nothing in preview or compose
Any suggestions on how to get this working?
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 39.png (41.0 KB, 7 views)
Old April 25th, 2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
I have a ballot box on 4 lines. At first they would not show up in the preview or composition. I unchecked "Limit processing to MacRoman text." in the advanced settings tab. Now the ballot boxes are displaying as two rectangular boxes rather than a single square box.

I also tried inserting it as a couple of rules.
Code:
return '<unicode>2610</unicode>'
 //shows up in validate box but not in preview or compose
and
Code:
return '☐'
//shows up as ☐ in validate box, but nothing in preview or compose
Any suggestions on how to get this working?
You need to make sure the font you're using contains a glyph for that Unicode character. Look in the log (.msg) file for any errors about Unicode output.
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@marcom.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@marcom.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs.

This is a publicly viewable forum. Please DO NOT post fonts, or other proprietary content, to this forum. Also, please DO NOT post any "live" data with real names, addresses, or any other personal, private, or confidential data.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});
Old April 25th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Regular Contributor

Unhappy Re: Ballot box problem

Quote:
You need to make sure the font you're using contains a glyph for that Unicode character. Look in the log (.msg) file for any errors about Unicode output.
I first tried Webdings, Wingdings, and Myriad Pro (you can see these in the attached screen shot). The webdings displays the character properly in the text editor box but changes from a single square box into two rectangular boxes, where the second box appears to be behind the following character. The wingdings does the same but with slightly taller boxes, and the Myriad pro output a rectangular box with an x through it. None of the fonts output a result for the html I tried to insert.

My .msg file for the above composition had no errors to report.

Quote:
Job started 16:27:36 - 1335371256.
Creator: FusionPro(TM) Designer 7.2P1k
Computer Name: Meir Galimidi’s MacBook Pro
Current working folder: /
Template File: /Users/meirgalimidi/Documents/Allegra/SCOTT/Urology Care Alliance/Bucks County Appointment Card/75063BucksUrol%E1yCareAppntBC.dif
Input File: /Users/meirgalimidi/Documents/Allegra/SCOTT/Urology Care Alliance/Bucks County Appointment Card/BucksAppointCardWRKBK.txt
Job Config File: /Users/meirgalimidi/Documents/Allegra/SCOTT/Urology Care Alliance/Bucks County Appointment Card/compose2/BucksAppointC%E1dWRKBK-Output.cfg
Composing record #1, input record 1
Job ended 16:27:37 - 1335371257.

I've gone so far as to write every character my keyboard can muster and flip through fonts until I find boxes. Then copy those boxes and put them in their own line. Every box I have come across for some reason alters, and adds a seconds character in both the preview and compose.

Is there a setting for this other than the "Limit processing to MacRoman text"(which I have unchecked) that could affect the output?
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 36.png (41.9 KB, 5 views)
Old April 25th, 2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
I've gone so far as to write every character my keyboard can muster and flip through fonts until I find boxes. Then copy those boxes and put them in their own line. Every box I have come across for some reason alters, and adds a seconds character in both the preview and compose.

Is there a setting for this other than the "Limit processing to MacRoman text"(which I have unchecked) that could affect the output?
Yes, there are other settings that affect how text is output in particular fonts, but there are too many to enumerate here.

Let's approach it this way: If you try to output one of these characters in another job, say, the Frodo Travel Tutorial, do you have the same problem? (You'll need to uncheck that "Limit processing to MacRoman text" box there as well to try this.)
  • If yes (the same problem happens in all jobs), then there's some kind of issue with your installation, in which case I would try uninstalling and reinstalling FusionPro.
  • If no (the problem is unique to this job), then it's a setting in your job, in which case I suggest collecting it up and posting it here, or sending it to Support.
LinkedIn

Old April 26th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Regular Contributor

I tried using the characters from that text box in another product and now I am not sure which of your above options this falls under.

In the text editor, they all show up as boxes. In the preview, some don't show up, some show up as stars, and others show up exactly right. When I compose with "Limit processing to MacRoman text" unchecked, they all show up with the same errors as my original product. Some do however continue to display properly in the preview.

I am submitting my collect file to support and I'll upload it here too if any of you want to try your hand.
Attached Files
File Type: zip AppointmentCardIssue.zip (3.84 MB, 7 views)
Old April 26th, 2012, 04:45 PM

Thanks for posting the job. I confirmed that I get the same output in FusionPro 7.2. However, FusionPro 8 composes what I think is the expected output. So I suggest upgrading. You can contact Sales for a trial license of FusionPro 8 if you want to try it out first.
LinkedIn

Tags
ballot box, format text, glyph, mac