Creating PDFs with metadata (Author Name)

Hello, I've managed to embed an author's name in pdfs when using the following code in "On Record Start".

FusionPro.Composition.OutputFile.author = Field("Merch Buyer")

It works great on templates that only have one body page, but when I try to apply it to a template with multiple body pages it doesn't seem to hold the author name. The template is currently set up to make a body page active depending on the sign type needed.

I there a trick to applying doc info to the body page when multiple are available?

Thank-you

It's a cool feature. Especially when we compose multiple PDFs to an older RIP that displays the PDF Title rather than the actual file name.

OnRecordStart:

FusionPro.Composition.OutputFile.title = 'PDF Title';
FusionPro.Composition.OutputFile.author = 'PDF Author';
FusionPro.Composition.OutputFile.subject = 'PDF Subject';
FusionPro.Composition.OutputFile.keywords = 'PDF Keywords';

But, I'm unable to reproduce your problem. Maybe I'm not understanding the issue. All composed multi-paged PDFs contain the injected metadata. Even when the FusionPro Templates have Unused Body Pages that are called out via FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage.

Sugest you post your template. What OS and version of FusionPro are you using?

Edited by David Miller

Thanks. David! I am using Mac OS 10.7.5 with Fusion Pro 8.2.7. The only time it doesn't work is when I make any of the body pages inactive. There are a total of 10 pages of various sizes in my template, but it only need to output 1 page per record. If I allow it to output all of the pages, it holds the author name just fine. I am in the process of creating a sample template from scratch. My current template is a little bloated with rules, just trying to narrow down any other possible conflicts.

It really is a great feature. I was looking for a way to sort all of my output files into folders. I wrote a companion applescript that pulls the author name, creates a folder, and moves each pdf into their corresponding folders. Any help or insight greatly appreciated. I'll try to post a sample soon. Thanks again.

Here is my template (attached). Perhaps my code is off, here is the OnRecordStart:

FusionPro.Composition.OutputFile.author = Field("Author")

if (Field("Primary Sign Type").indexOf("SIZE A") > -1)

FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage("PAGE A", true);

if (Field("Primary Sign Type").indexOf("SIZE B") > -1)

FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage("PAGE B", true);

if (Field("Primary Sign Type").indexOf("SIZE C") > -1)

FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage("PAGE C", true);

All of the body pages are set to unused. I also have a OnOutputFile rule that names the pdf by my "Primary Sign Type" field.

NEW TEMPLATE.zip

If I had to guess, I'd bet that this functionality is restricted to the first page in the document. If you were to rearrange your template so that "PAGE B" was the first page in the template, you'd see that the authoring meta-data was only created for the "PAGE B.pdf" output file. So having the pages set to "Unused" or not is really irrelevant. If all of your pages were set to unused (and toggled on and off by OnRecordStart) the output files that use the first page in your template would honor your authoring meta-data.

This is similar to how FPImposer works. If the first page in the template is 8.5x11 and the second page is 5x5, you won't be able to properly impose the 5x5 page even with the 8.5x11 page set as unused. To my knowledge, in order to get the results you're looking for, you'd have to split your template into multiple single-paged templates, unfortunately.