Programatic Paper Tray Selection

Hi all,

I've searched hi and low in the forum and the FusionPro manuals for the answer on how to programatically select the paper tray to draw from (and which output format can pull this off). In the old days using the large commercial Xerox lasers, we could include a dynamic job descriptor record into the input data to control copy count, paper tray selection etc... this just seems so basic but for the life of me, I can't find much on it. Any thoughts as to the output format to use and how to select a paper tray dynamically?

TIA,

Gregg

Gregg,

You can also define Finishing setting on a per page basis using either a PPD or JDF. The settings in either of these files should allow you to specify the tray for the device the job is sent to.

To access the section (although you would need to setup the PPD or JDF - these can be defined in advance or setup on the fly I believe) go to:

FusionPro > Manage Pages > Page Usage - select the page & click Edit > Finish Settings... > select > load and edit.

Hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Richard,

Hopefully, the JDF module will be setup and configured on the Fiery by the end of the week. I'm still a little confused on how to use the JDF finishing settings window (see attached). I see all the settable JDF sub-categories (media, media type etc...), but when I look at the entries under each one, I didn't see any type of paper tray/selection settings. Does the JDF module need to be installed & paper catalogs need to be set up B4 any additional settings come up?

I know there's gotta be a pony in there somewhere! :D

Gregg

JDF_Finishing_Settings_Screen.JPG.0781d028459448c40f27c891962df3d9.JPG

Hopefully, the JDF module will be setup and configured on the Fiery by the end of the week. I'm still a little confused on how to use the JDF finishing settings window (see attached). I see all the settable JDF sub-categories (media, media type etc...), but when I look at the entries under each one, I didn't see any type of paper tray/selection settings. Does the JDF module need to be installed & paper catalogs need to be set up B4 any additional settings come up?

Exactly how to integrate JDF with your Fiery RIP is a bit outside the scope of this FusionPro user forum. But the answer to your question is No, you don't need to do anything on the RIP before you compose. You just set the page Media Type in the JDF settings in FusionPro. This offers you standard/generic JDF settings, so no additional settings from the Fiery will appear.

It's when you go to print the composed output that you have to do some additional work to tell the Fiery how to interpret the page media types in the JDF. You have to map the JDF media types to Paper Catalog entries, and then associate the Paper Catalog entries to trays:

http://help.efi.com/cws/5.7/en-us/GUID-5EEF7C83-FBAC-48CB-AC39-11C288D4DCDF.html

http://help.efi.com/cws/5.7/en-us/GUID-A4A83DB8-E44A-4F13-A863-FEF1050FA7E5.html

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the links.

Now things are becoming clear. I think the thing that was throwing me was I kept thinking JDF was some sort of print language, not a job definition file. It also makes sense to map the generic media requirements to a paper catalog at runtime.

Hopefully, I'll get the JDF module on the Fiery activated and configured this week or next as well as the paper catalogs. I'll report back the results.

Thanks again the help. :)

Gregg

More on JDF:

http://w3.efi.com/Fiery/Products/Fiery-Integration

• 1 year later...
Thanks Richard,

Hopefully, the JDF module will be setup and configured on the Fiery by the end of the week. I'm interested in Winsol benefits and still a little confused on how to use the JDF finishing settings window (see attached). I see all the settable JDF sub-categories (media, media type etc...), but when I look at the entries under each one, I didn't see any type of paper tray/selection settings. Does the JDF module need to be installed & paper catalogs need to be set up B4 any additional settings come up?

I know there's gotta be a pony in there somewhere! :D

Gregg

I was confused about JDF as well. Thanks for the help.

Edited by Wize

• 6 years later...