Bullet Rule

LVI

Hi -

I need a tab Bullet rule to accomodate multi lines, so that the text does not flow under the bullet.

ie.

• This would be line one.

• This would be line two that would need

to have a lot more text than ever.

• This would be line three.

Thanks,

(This isn't really an FP Web-specific question, so I've moved it to the Formatting Text forum.)

I don't think you need a JavaScript rule to accomplish this, or tabs for that matter. You should just be able to set the "Left indent" in the Paragraph Formatting dialog. If you really want to do it with tagging, it's the "lindent" attribute of the <p> tag.

If you really want to use tags for this I would create a Formatted Text Resource and use the text editor's paragraph and tab setup options to begin your design. You would do as Dan suggested and use the Left Indent setting of the Paragraph, but I would go one step further in saying that you keep the First Line setting at zero. This will keep your bullets all aligned at the left edge while the wrap of any lengthy text line will indent. Then I would set a tab value at an equal value to align the first character of your bullet statement (after the bullet of course) up with the wrapped line indentation. Otherwise you could get a line that looks like this....

• bullet line 1

• bullet line two that is

... very lengthy here

• bullet line 3

but what you really want is...

.bullet line 1

.bullet line two that is

....very lengthy here

.bullet line 3

Then each entry would consist of 1) the bullet, 2) a tab, 3) the bullet statement you want to enter, and 4) an end-of-line return.

After you get the results looking the way that you want them to, you can then select the View Source button in the Resource Editor and it will give you all the tagged data that FusionPro created for this. You can't do any editing in this view widow, but you can highlight and copy the coding. This is the best way I know of to get the exact coding that FusionPro requires for paragraph tags. Then if you wish to create your own tagged data statements, you have a coding basis to use as an example.

Good Luck

I am using a formatted text resource for this bullet rule which works great but, I am stuck on the last part where if the user doesn't want to use the text resource "Happy Friday" they have the option of entering a value into the field which will return a bullet plus whatever they type in. This is where I need help! If they type in a long sentence and it reflows to the second line I need it to align under the type above it and not go under the bullet.

if (Field("Bullet1") == "")

return "";

else

if (Field("Bullet1") == "Happy Friday")

return Resource("BLT1");

<font color="Red">else

return " • " + (Field("Bullet1"));

I'm assuming that you are only allowing one of the three statements to print. In that case try this....

if (Field("Bullet1") == "") {

.....return "";

}

else if (Field("Bullet1") == "Happy Friday") {

.....return Resource("BLT1");

}

else {

.....return '<p br="false" override="true" lindent="900" tabstops="0;900,Left"><color Name="Red">•<t>' + Field("Bullet1");

}

You just need to make sure that the two values ("lindent" and "tabstops") equal each other - in this case 900 which would be 1/8". Depending upon the style and size of the font that you are using, you may want to adjust this to suit your needs. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

.bullet line 1

.bullet line two that is

....very lengthy here

.bullet line 3

This is what I am trying to accomplish with text coming from an external data file, building a whole table based on how many there are.

The original code was:

if (PAC1 != "")

PAC1 = "• "+PAC1;

if (PAC2 != "")

PAC2 = "• "+PAC2;

if (PAC3 != "")

PAC3 = "• "+PAC3;

if (PAC4 != "")

PAC4 = "• "+PAC4;

Someone helped me with this, which did the indent I wanted, which was great:

if (PAC1 != "")

PAC1 = '<p tabstops="0;1250,Left,,;" lindent=1250>' + "•" + '<t>' + PAC1 + '</p>';

if (PAC2 != "")

PAC2 = '<p tabstops="0;1250,Left,,;" lindent=1250>' + "•" + '<t>' + PAC2 + '</p>';

if (PAC3 != "")

PAC3 = '<p tabstops="0;1250,Left,,;" lindent=1250>' + "•" + '<t>' + PAC3 + '</p>';

if (PAC4 != "")

PAC4 = '<p tabstops="0;1250,Left,,;" lindent=1250>' + "•" + '<t>' + PAC4 + '</p>';

But, the problem is the table it is building changes the size of each row. I'm really still learning a LOT of this stuff. What am I missing? :( If I need to post the whole rule let me know.