Can I add a bleed after exporting from InDesign?

teresas

I created a template in InDesign with no bleed and exported it to FusionPro. After applying my rules and formatting everything, I find out they want me to add a bleed.:mad: Can I add a bleed without having to go all the way back into InDesign and re-exporting my template?

Unfortunately, I know of no way for Acrobat to recreate information outside of the page given to it. You will probably have to go back to InDesign and save a new pdf file with bleeds. (notice I said "save" and not "export". You don't have to re-export the fusion pro pdf, just a static pdf file of the document.)

On the bright side, you do not have to recreate your formatting in FP.

Open your new pdf file in Acrobat.

1. Using the Data Definition Wizard,

2. Import a data source from another document. (select your old pdf .def file)

3. Once that is done, You can go to the advanced options in the FusionPro menu select Import...

4. Navigate to your old pdf file and click OK.

5. An alert may pop up, but click OK again and the old template information will magically appear on your new pdf file. (including any rules you may have written)

It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I hope this helps.

I am attaching a number of jpg images that explains the process (by the numbers)

byTheNumbers.zip

LesSjo, that's a great tip. Thanks for the screenshots - they are very helpful.

You said not to re-export the PDF via the FP method from ID, but if you did that and overwrote the existing PDF, wouldn't it simply replace the underlying static PDF info and leave all the variable stuff intact? That is what I do when there is a change to the static data and it seems to work well.

Please forgive my ignorance, but why would replacing the underlying static base PDF have any effect on FP rules? I could swear I've done it before where I spent lots of time getting the FP variable stuff all set up, only to find out that the client wants to change something on the static portion and I simply re-export the PDF and it maintains everything I did in FP.

Perhaps I'm missing something here?

Archived