Need Square Bullets

jolicoeur

I am working on a flyer that requires blue square bullets for a list of items. I have tried wingdings, Times New Roman and other typefaces. We've also tried html codes as well. It seems no matter what we do, the square bullet will not populate.

If we put the square bullet using wingdings directly into the text box, it does work and populates, however, as soon as it becomes apart of a rule, it simply outputs an 'n' (the equivalent in another typeface). When composing, it tells me Wingdings is not available, even though it is, and is listed as OK under fonts used and outputs the hand entered content directly into the text box.

I don't care what typeface or format is used, as long as I can create a square bullet, in a different color than the text.

Here is the current rule code:

var outstr='', item='', itemName='';

for (item=1; item<11; item++) {

if (Field("OpList" + item).length > 0)

outstr += "<p>" + "<color name=Blue>" + "<f name=\"Wingdings\">" + 'n' + "</f>" + '<t>' + "<color name=Black>" + Field("OpList" + item);

}

return cleanRichText(outstr + "<p>");

I am working on a flyer that requires blue square bullets for a list of items. I have tried wingdings, Times New Roman and other typefaces. We've also tried html codes as well. It seems no matter what we do, the square bullet will not populate.

If we put the square bullet using wingdings directly into the text box, it does work and populates, however, as soon as it becomes apart of a rule, it simply outputs an 'n' (the equivalent in another typeface). When composing, it tells me Wingdings is not available, even though it is, and is listed as OK under fonts used and outputs the hand entered content directly into the text box.

I don't care what typeface or format is used, as long as I can create a square bullet, in a different color than the text.

Here is the current rule code:

outstr += "<p>" + "<color name=Blue>" + "<f name=\"Wingdings\">" + 'n' + "</f>" + '<t>' + "<color name=Black>" + Field("OpList" + item);

}

return cleanRichText(outstr + "<p>");

Is that the only place within your template that you're using Wingdings? I've occasionally run into an issue with certain fonts where they don't display correctly when referenced by a rule – I believe that Wingdings is one of the ones I've had issues with in the past. The way I've gotten it to work is to include the font elsewhere in the template. You can do this by using it in a text frame (as you've already discovered) or by creating a "Formatted Text Resource."

You could even select "start new paragraph," insert the tab after it, highlight the tab and set the font/color, and change your code to:

var bullet = Resource("Your Formatted Text Resource Name");

outstr += bullet.content + Field("OpList" + item); 
}