Old Templates - New Resources

I am going to assume that this is NOT a FusionPro problem, but more likely one of having old templates. We've had a site open for a customer for their stationery needs (biz cards, letterhead, notepads, etc...) since 2009. I created those templates probably in Acrobat 8 using FusionPro somewhere around v6 or v7. So long ago it doesn't really matter. The templates pull in a company logo and places specified text in there places. (YAWN ... I know just stay with me on this.) Everything has been fine from 2009 ... 'til now.

The client has since updated their logo and provided me with a new one to place on all of there stationery items. So...since I stored the logo as an outside resource just linked to each of the templates I thought that I would just have to swap out the old resources with the new and I wouldn't need to touch the templates at all. A change that would take around 3 to 5 minutes to do.

BAM! SOCKO! OOF! Now ALL those templates didn't work and the message log file came back stating

[b][i][color=#1F497D]Graphic is not found or is not processed properly: thomEnv10_Shell.pdf.[/color][/i][/b]
 [color=#1F497D]Check for file existence and that it is of the proper format.[/color]

Every single template that has worked flawlessly for the past 6 and a half years now had the same error message just with a different graphic item reference. Nothing worked. :confused:

At first I thought that I might have to completely redo AAALLLLLL those templates over again (about 30 or so), but I decided to try something else first. I opened the original template stored off site and without changing anything simply reprocessed a text file, re-saved it, and moved the template .def, .dif and .pdf files to our live site and reprocessed a text file there. Repeated for each of the other templates as well after the first one did work.

Now they all work again. No problem anymore but just a question to put out to the forum that I hope someone with a little more Adobe Acrobat knowledge than I might be able to shed some light on. I know that there are different features with each version of Acrobat and many are not backwards compatible, but not being able to read in a simple pdf image of a logo? The logo was given to me as an eps file so I just made it into a pdf file to use since FusionPro does that same process anyway. I even distilled it using Distiller settings for version 5.0. Really puzzled on this one and thinking that maybe I should do this for those templates (and others) each time I get an update to FusionPro or Acrobat as well. I don't know if that's a "Best Practice" or not, but it sure beats the heck out of the shock that I received when 30 or so templates suddenly took a dump!

Edited by DSweet

I opened the original template stored off site and without changing anything simply reprocessed a text file, re-saved it, and moved the template .def, .dif and .pdf files to our live site and reprocessed a text file there.

If you could provide both the old and new versions of (a set of) those files, either posted here or sent to Support, then I, or someone else here, could examine them and see what's different. Otherwise, there's not much to go on.

We do run extensive regression testing with each new build of FusionPro, to make sure that a fairly comprehensive set of jobs, some going back to the DL Formatter days, compose the same output as with older versions. But we can't test every combination of input resources, output formats, and composition features.

I know that there are different features with each version of Acrobat and many are not backwards compatible, but not being able to read in a simple pdf image of a logo?.

I doubt that a composition-time problem like this has anything to do with the version of Acrobat. It's most likely related to changes in the version of FusionPro itself, or possibly the version of Windows.

The logo was given to me as an eps file so I just made it into a pdf file to use since FusionPro does that same process anyway.

It does that if you're composing to PDF, or to a PDF-based output format such as VDX.

But if you're composing to PostScript (or something PostScript-based like PPML), then it could be a problem converting the PDF resources back to EPS. If that's the case, you could just use the original PostScript resource and name it with a .pdf extension. (It's a bit of a white lie, and Windows won't know what to do with it, but FusionPro doesn't care about extensions for graphic resources.)

I even distilled it using Distiller settings for version 5.0. Really puzzled on this one and thinking that maybe I should do this for those templates (and others) each time I get an update to FusionPro or Acrobat as well. I don't know if that's a "Best Practice" or not, but it sure beats the heck out of the shock that I received when 30 or so templates suddenly took a dump!

Again, if you're composing to PostScript, then you're better off just giving FusionPro the original PostScript file instead of round-tripping it through PDF.

What output format are you composing to?