Intelligent bar code

peppermill

Several things are included in the Intelligent Mail Barcode (IMB). The first thing you must have is a Mailer ID assigned by USPS. I applied for our ID in August 07 and received it in May 08 but I think they're faster now. You cannot use the IMB without it. It will be either a 6-digit or 9-digit code based on the number of pieces you mail annually.

I have entered our Mailer ID into our mail handling application (Mail Manager 2010) and let it generate everything. All the parts are briefly described in the Rules Guide documentation (page 76 in my version "MakeOneCodeBarcode"). The USPS also has some good documentation at http://ribbs.usps.gov/onecodesolution.

Several of us have figured this out with little help beyond what I've given you above. However, if you have any specific questions, we'll try to answer them for you. There's just too much to try to sum it all up here.

Does anyone know what data is needed to get the intelligent bar code :eek:

this is also called onecode ACS. I cant figure this out for the life of me.

Yes, FusionPro, in versions previous to the latest 5.8P1m release, also refers to it as OneCode. The Postal Service went through several iterations about what to call their new barcode standard, causing much confusion. (It was originally called "Four State Barcode," leading many to ask the question, "Which four states, and what about the other 46?") FusionPro's support for it actually predates its latest nom de jour, "Intelligent Mail Barcode".

In the Building Blocks dialog, look for the function named "MakeOneCodeBarcode" (Functions tab, Barcode node) or the object named "OneCodeBarcode" (JS Language tab, Objects node).

In 5.8P1m, updated entries have been added to the Building Blocks dialog for the "MakeIntelligentMailBarcode" function and "IntelligentMailBarcode" object. However, the old "OneCode" names are still supported as well for backwards-compatibility.

what I dont get is Fusion asks for routing, tracking and font size. No where does it ask for your mail ID, serial number, service type or Barcode ID

Please see:

http://www.idautomation.com/intelligent-mail.html#Generating_Formatting

This explains how to format the routing and tracking strings for the Intelligent Mail OneCode barcode, including how to use the serial number, or sequence number, as part of the tracking string.

Other sites use slightly different terminology. For instance:

http://www.datamartdirect.com/newsletter_pages/DataMart%20Newsletter%20june%202008.htm

Looking at these two pages, we can map the terminology that the IDAutomation folks use to the terms you're looking for:

IDAutomation terminology -> your terminology

Barcode Identifier -> Barcode ID

Special Services -> Mailer ID

Customer Identifier -> Service Type ID

Sequence Number -> Serial Number

Again, this barcode specification and the terminology associated with it continue to evolve, and we'll continue to evolve our internal functions to keep up. But FusionPro's solution does allows you to generate the IM barcode with all the required data.

I think I have it figured out, what was confusing was that fusion was asking for a tracking number, I figured out that it was a combination of numbers that I had to put in one field of my Excel sheet. And the Routing was the zip, zip+4 and dpbc code. But I finally have a bar code. I also see that I have to put the font in the edit text box as the 4 state to get it to work.

I am using version 4.2 on a Mac. These comments may not apply to newer releases.

I also see that I have to put the font in the edit text box as the 4 state to get it to work.

You should not have to select the IDAutomation4State font in order for the MakeOneCodeBarcode function to generate the barcode. It IS necessary to check the box beside "Treat returned strings as tagged text" though in order for the font tag to be implemented.

Selecting the font manually and failing to treat returned strings as tagged text will result in a barcode that contains useless data.

By the way, I have found the default size of 10 pt to be too small for postal regulations. I came to this conclusion by generating a fake barcode in Adobe Illustrator using the same font, converting it to curves and measuring the space between the bars. I therefore include a third attribute in my code which changes the size to 12 pt. I have reduced the size to 11 pt when space dictated without any complaints from our good friends at the USPS, though.

I am using version 4.2 on a Mac. These comments may not apply to newer releases.

"Treat returned strings as tagged text" though in order for the font tag to be implemented.

I dont have that option. thee is a check box that says Do you want to override the font tag to turn off. Thats it.

I should have been more specific. Again, your version may be somewhat different. The checkbox to treat returned strings as tagged text is in the Rule Editor, just below the "Comment" field beside the "Rule Name" field.

I dont have that option. thee is a check box that says Do you want to override the font tag to turn off. Thats it.

I should have been more specific. Again, your version may be somewhat different. The checkbox to treat returned strings as tagged text is in the Rule Editor, just below the "Comment" field beside the "Rule Name" field.

You guys are talking about two different kinds of rules. Peppermill is using the template rule:

http://forums.printable.com/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=7

While havdp is using a JavaScript rule that's calling the MakeOneCodeBarcode function directly.

If you click the "Convert to JavaScript" button in the template rule editor, it will take you to the JavaScript Rule Editor, where you will see that the "Treat returned strings as tagged text" is indeed checked. So you're both right. :)

• 1 month later...

I have read through this post and I can get the barcode to work using a txt file, but here is my problem.

We use Postalsoft DeskTop Mailer® to create the excel file. But when I open the excel file the 31 character barcode number is truncated to 7.03E+028. I tried to format the cell but it only allows 15 numbers. How do I make it read all 31 numbers?

So that is my first problem that I am hoping somebody can help me out with.

The second issue is if the first problems is solved. The only way I can get the barcode to create is by having the tracking code and routing codes in separate fields. How do I separate them in excel?

Thanks

Damien

I am using Arobat 8, Fusion 5.1P2c, Mac OSX.5

Here is the answer that I have received from FusionPro technical personel. It is a rule that they provided. I hope this help others with the same issue.

Hello Damien,

Create an “Empty" Text Rule and use the following logic:

Make sure your field name matches.

return MakeOneCodeBarcode(Left(Field("Intelligent Mail Barcode"), 20), Right(Field("Intelligent Mail Barcode"), 11), 12)

Check the box for "Treat Return Strings As Tagged Text"

Then go to the Text Variable frame where this barcode will appear.

Insert the Rule name from the "Variable" drop window.

Apply the "IDAutomation4State" font.

regards,

Alex Marshall

Application Support Engineer

Printable Technologies Inc.

Archived