command line for server

DSweet

A normal command line for FusionPro Server would be...

fusionpro.exe <instance file> <format (the .dif) file> <config file> <output file>

however when you type just the word "fusionpro.exe" without any of the other components, fusionpro will report back that you need the components of the command line that I typed above and then it surprisingly reported back that I could also use only...

fusionpro <config file>

How are the files for the data, the .dif, and the output incorporated into the config file structure? Since these files are now (I can only assume) hard coded into the config file are they now totally static in nature and cannot change?

I read in another posting a while back that someone wishes for the manuals to the config files to be updated (or created, don't remember exactly which), but it seems like not everything about this program that would actually be useful for the users is being openly discussed or even just revealed.

A normal command line for FusionPro Server would be...

fusionpro.exe <instance file> <format (the .dif) file> <config file> <output file>

however when you type just the word "fusionpro.exe" without any of the other components, fusionpro will report back that you need the components of the command line that I typed above and then it surprisingly reported back that I could also use only...

fusionpro <config file>

Yes, this allows the CFG file to be basically a "job" file which specifies all the parameters for the FusionPro Server job.

How are the files for the data, the .dif, and the output incorporated into the config file structure?

The CFG file parameters you're looking for are InputFile, FormatFile, and OutputFile. FormatFile is required if you're not specifying it on the command line. OutputFile is optional; if not present, an output file name is generated based on the format (DIF) file name. InputFile is required (either on the command line or in the CFG file) unless the input type in the Data Definition (DEF file) is set to either "None" or ODBC.

Since these files are now (I can only assume) hard coded into the config file are they now totally static in nature and cannot change?

No, the command-line parameters, if present, override the CFG file settings.

Although I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "hard-coded." Presumably you have some kind of application that's generating the CFG file as well as the command-line parameters.

I read in another posting a while back that someone wishes for the manuals to the config files to be updated (or created, don't remember exactly which), but it seems like not everything about this program that would actually be useful for the users is being openly discussed or even just revealed.

We're not intentionally holding anything back. It's just a deficiency in the documentation. I've made a note of another customer request for CFG file documentation in case FP-11448.

• 3 weeks later...
So, just to be clear, if I want to use the command line for composing a job that uses an ODBC data source, I can simply omit the instance file from the command line?

Like:

fusionpro.exe <format (the .dif) file> <config file> <output file>

No. You can either pass all four parameters on the command line, or you can pass one.

If you are running without an actual input file, either for "None" input for a ticketing-type job or for ODBC, then you either need to specify a "dummy" input file, either on the command-line in the four-parameter mode, or in the CFG file in the single-parameter mode.

Archived