Varied results for PDF output from browsers

esmith

We have a new instance of an in-house web portal which generates PDFs from FP Server for output via the browser by client or by our presses and shipped to client. Due to the latter option, the templates are designed to include bleed on all 4 sides, but if the option to print online is chosen, the output is cropped to the trim dimensions rather than the bleed.

This seems to work fine on Explorer (tested with 7) and Firefox (tested with 3.5), but on Safari (tested with 5) the image prints off-center toward the bottom, right corner of sheet. My guess is that this is because Safari is referencing the media size instead of the trim size.

Since the other browsers seem to reference the trim size correctly, I am hesitant to mess with the template itself, especially since I need the extra 1/8" for output to our presses. I've looked through the config file to see if a setting could be changed to force cropping to trim box, but I can't find any documentation on command or properties in the CFG file.

Can anyone suggest a working solution to get Safari (along with the other browsers) to output the file in correct position?

I'm not familiar with "the option to print online." What system is this option a part of?

Are you printing directly from the web browser? If so, this would seem to be a browser (or PDF viewer browser plug-in) issue, especially if it works correctly in other browsers.

Or is this "option to print online" something that your in-house web portal does? If so, that's an issue with your web app.

Either way, I'm not sure I understand how it's a FusionPro issue, which means that I don't know how to tell you anything different to do in FusionPro. I think you need to find out how to tell whatever is doing the printing to use a different box.

What I can tell you is that PDF output from FusionPro sets the Trim and Crop boxes of each page to the exact size of the page from the template PDF, and the Bleed box is set the same as the Media box. So, if you have zero bleed, then the Media and Bleed boxes are the same as the Trim and Crop boxes, but if you have a non-zero bleed, then the Media and Bleed boxes will differ from the Trim and Crop boxes. I don't really know of any way to change this in FusionPro, other than to rework your PDF template.

Are you printing directly from the web browser? If so, this would seem to be a browser (or PDF viewer browser plug-in) issue, especially if it works correctly in other browsers.

Yes, depending on the browser, the print function either takes place inside an interior (plug-in) frame or is handled by the browser's native print menu. The latter is true for Safari.

Either way, I'm not sure I understand how it's a FusionPro issue, which means that I don't know how to tell you anything different to do in FusionPro. I think you need to find out how to tell whatever is doing the printing to use a different box.

Correct again. It's really not a FP issue directly. Of course, as has been said before, there are a lot of intelligent people on this site that likely have encountered a similar situation before, so I thought I'd take my chances posting here instead of (or in addition to) posting in other forums. ;)

What I can tell you is that PDF output from FusionPro sets the Trim and Crop boxes of each page to the exact size of the page from the template PDF, and the Bleed box is set the same as the Media box. So, if you have zero bleed, then the Media and Bleed boxes are the same as the Trim and Crop boxes, but if you have a non-zero bleed, then the Media and Bleed boxes will differ from the Trim and Crop boxes. I don't really know of any way to change this in FusionPro, other than to rework your PDF template.

Thanks for the info. What's confusing me is whether or not a specific browser uses the trim, crop, or media box for printing. Thanks for pointing out the specifics of FP's "mentality" so that I can attempt to cross reference it with browser print options in hopes of finding the unique factor between Safari and all the others.

Archived