Creating a locked/secured PDFs

Hi,

I have an input text file which I use with a template to create set of individual output pdf files. Is there a way or command I can lock these pdfs created. I am creating these pdfs for users and need to secure them.

Please advise.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

The Composition Settings Doc Info tab and page 104 of the FusionPro VDP Creator User Guide would lead me to believe that it is possible to set a password to open the document and another to edit the document.

Can we allow the PDF to be opened without a password and still restrict printing, editing, etc.?

We are unable to leave the "Open the Document" field blank and set a "Change Security Options" password only.

When we set both passwords and check all the security options, we need a password to open the PDF but can edit and print when it is open.

We set the passwords to this:

Open the Document = 9999

Change Security Options = 3333

The CFG file showed this:

AllowChange=No

AllowCopy=No

AllowNote=No

AllowPDFPrint=No

OwnerPassword=9999

ChangePassword=

http://www.reallybenoticed.com/fusionpro/SecuritySettings.jpg

Is there a way around this for composition in FusionPro VDP Creator?

Note:

Manually editing the CFG file and composing in FusionPro VDP Producer works:

AllowChange=No

AllowCopy=No

AllowNote=No

AllowPDFPrint=No

OwnerPassword=

ChangePassword=9999

Thank you.

Edited by David Miller
Composing in Producer works, composing in Creator does not.

The passwords can be set in JavaScript as well, in FusionPro 8.0 and later. This is handy if you're chunking your output to multiple files. You can set the password for each output file based on a field value in the input data for the record, like so (in OnRecordStart):

FusionPro.Composition.OutputFile.openDocPassword = Field("Name");
FusionPro.Composition.OutputFile.changeSecurityPassword = Field("Name");

This is documented in the User Guide, in the section, "Setting password in JavaScript."

It's not just the passwords either. You can set all the options from the Doc Info tab of the Composition Settings dialog in JavaScript, including the security options (to disallow printing and such) and the title, subject, author, and keywords, with properties of the FusionPro.Composition.OutputFile object. You can see all the properties on the Building Blocks dialog, on the Objects tab, under Objects -> FusionPro (Global) -> Composition -> PDF Output.