Ampersand replacement issues

MeeshKB

I have read both of these threads and applied the logic shared there, but I am still having an issue with ampersands.

http://forums.pti.com/showthread.php?t=2808&highlight=ampersand

http://forums.pti.com/showthread.php?t=1702&highlight=ampersand

I am working on a business card. Our client uses the abbreviation "OH&S" frequently in the title field of their card. When rendered, the ampersand and following character both drop.

I have done as Dan suggested in the first thread and created a rule using the TaggedDataField function, thusly

return TaggedDataField("Title")

but I am getting the terminating semicolon that Eric encountered when I preview the data in FP. Even more confounding, when I upload the form to our web-to-print portal (Avanti eAccess), it drops the ampersand and following character regardless of my rule.

Any thoughts on how we can overcome this? Even a solution which only addresses the specific text "OH&S" would work, as they would not ever use the ampersand without spaces in any other instance.

I have read both of these threads and applied the logic shared there, but I am still having an issue with ampersands.

http://forums.pti.com/showthread.php?t=2808&highlight=ampersand

http://forums.pti.com/showthread.php?t=1702&highlight=ampersand

I am working on a business card. Our client uses the abbreviation "OH&S" frequently in the title field of their card. When rendered, the ampersand and following character both drop.

I have done as Dan suggested in the first thread and created a rule using the TaggedDataField function, thusly

return TaggedDataField("Title")

but I am getting the terminating semicolon that Eric encountered when I preview the data in FP.

Eric's problem was that his data was not in a valid format. Whether that's the same problem you're having is impossible to know without seeing the data file, or at least one record of it and the header row.

If I try the same thing you describe (or what I think is the same thing) on my end, I don't get any semicolon in the output.

What is the result of the rule when you validate it in the Rule Editor?

Even more confounding, when I upload the form to our web-to-print portal (Avanti eAccess), it drops the ampersand and following character regardless of my rule.

In order to analyze the output composed by Avanti's system, I need to know at least these two things:

1. The exact version of FusionPro running on the remote server which is actually doing the composition.
  2. The exact format of the data, which is presumably being generated by the web-to-print app from a web form.

Any thoughts on how we can overcome this? Even a solution which only addresses the specific text "OH&S" would work, as they would not ever use the ampersand without spaces in any other instance.

This problem has been overcome in hundreds of other jobs. There's something that's not quite set up right in your template. It's hard to analyze it through a keyhole, though. If you could collect it up, or collect up a sample job which reproduces the problem, and post it here, that would be worth a thousand words.

Thanks, Dan.

When I validate the rule in Rule Editor, it includes the semicolon.

"Safety Advisor, OH&S;"

I will confirm our VDP Producer version on the server as soon as I can get in touch with IT (I don't have direct access to the server). That should be later this morning.

eAccess generates xml from the web form. I've attached a sample here, along with a collected copy of the card itself.

PAGNBUSCRD01.zip

Web Form Data.zip

Edited by MeeshKB