Integration from InDesign CS4 - 'export as variable' not working?

Nick

I'm using FP Desktop in Acrobat 8 Standard on Windows XP, with InDesign CS4. The FP plugin in IDD allows me to mark a box as variable text or variable graphic. I export the IDD file to PDF. I open the PDF, assign a data file, resources, create rules. But the variables I identified in IDD are not recognised by FP. If this is pilot error, then I'd appreciate some guidance - or is it a known issue with CS4?

Thank you

Nick

Hello Nick,

Can you check as to what "type" of frames you are flagging for export in InDesign? This is done by selecting the frame and going to Object -> Content. You have 3 options - text, graphic, or unassigned.

For best results, we recommend that when flagging frames for export in InDesign with the FP plug-in, users use "text" type frames for variable text export and "graphic" type frames for variable graphic export. Using a different combination (like flagging a graphic type frame for variable text frame export), can result in the frames not exporting correctly.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Mark, thanks for this. I've created a very simple new job, with just one graphic and one text box, marked each with its relevant export flag, then exported to PDF. Opening the PDF, I then associate a data file, resources and rules. Now when I double-click on either the graphic or text box in the PDF, there is no action, no recognition of them as frames, so I cannot associate a rule. I have then checked that I can still set up new frames within the PDF itself, and activate these, and yes these do work. So the integration element still seems to be faulty, or I'm still doing something wrong somewhere.

With thanks in advance for your help

Nick

Doh. Just got this to work. Did not realise that 'export' could be done from the Fusion Pro pallette, and this works just fine.

The User Guide for this says simply (p265) "Save the template file and export it as the input PDF file." I think it needs to be explicit about using the Fusion Pro pallette export, and where to find this, rather than the Adobe Export function.

Thanks again for your time and help on this

Archived