printing numbers successively

arnowals

Hello,

I have a problem with Fusion Pro, and hope that someone can help me.

We want to print variable numbers on 4 different positions.

We don't have to generate the numbers. (the numbers are all supplied)

The numbers will be printed on a digital printer.

With Fusion pro we want to draw 4 text frames in a pdf document (where the numbers will be printed) how can we get the numbers successively in the 4 text frames ready for print????

Best regards,

Arno Wals

We want to print variable numbers on 4 different positions.

We don't have to generate the numbers. (the numbers are all supplied)

So you have 1 page with 4 text frames and each text frame should return 1-4 for the first record and 5-8 for the second record and so forth? When you say that the numbers are already supplied, can you elaborate on how they are supplied? If you are printing numbers 1-20, do you have 20 records with one field or do you have 5 records with 4 fields (one for each text frame)?

If it's that latter, you could just assign each of the record's fields to its respective frame.

If it's the former, is altering your template so that it only has one text frame and then imposing each record 4up an option? If not, you can still make this work with a little coding but it would be easier to help if I knew what your data/template looked like. Could you collect your template and upload it to the forum?

Hello i have made a picture of a printed sheet wich is our template also.

(see attachment, you can also see the numbers)

Indeed we have 4 textframes for 1 page, each text frame should return 1-4 for the first record and 5-8 for the second record and so forth thats correct.

The numbers are supplied in excel, the main issue is that we have about 480.000 numbers to print divided in 4 textframes. (thats a lot of numbers)

How can we get these numbers successively in Fusion Pro.

Hope that my explanation is clear?

IMG_20160301_151458-2.jpg.e1c538057c3764475c04d95a7bcb3825.jpg

Hi,

I believe you need to get your data in usable format with 1 record with 4 cells.

to do this:

Copy the data from the first column 3 more times. Delete 1 cell from column 2, 2 cells from column 3 and 3 cells from column 4. You should end up with

1 2 3 4

2 3 4 5

3 4 5 6 ...and so on. Color the first four rows different colors in excel.

highlight the first four records and use the format painter by going to end of records - selecting all and format. All your rows should be color formatted.

Filter on the color that has the sequencing you want and remove excess.

results after filter should be.

9101112 and so on.

Hello i have made a picture of a printed sheet wich is our template also.

(see attachment, you can also see the numbers)

Indeed we have 4 textframes for 1 page, each text frame should return 1-4 for the first record and 5-8 for the second record and so forth thats correct.

The numbers are supplied in excel, the main issue is that we have about 480.000 numbers to print divided in 4 textframes. (thats a lot of numbers)

I see. The easiest thing to do is to create a template that is just the top 1/4th of that artwork with one text frame that returns the coupon number and impose it 4up (1 column, 4 rows) when you're composing it.

But I guess if you're adamant about using the 4 up template, you could create a global array that holds your coupon values and shift the first value for each text frame. Create an OnJobStart callback rule that looks like this:

var field = 'Coupon'; // Name of the field holding the coupon number
var ex = new ExternalDataFileEx(PrimaryInputFile(),',');
coupons = [];
var recs = ex.recordCount;
for (var i=1; i<=recs; i++)
   coupons.push(ex.GetFieldValue(i, field));

FusionPro.Composition.composeAllRecords = false;
FusionPro.Composition.endRecordNumber = recs/4;

And the rule that each text frame would return would look like this (make sure that "Re-evaluate this rule for every text flow" is checked):

return coupons.shift() || '';