Constraining Single Line of Text Within Text Block

I seem to have trouble with text formatting within the same text block.

For example, within the text block I will have a hard return with a Personalized URL centered. I would like to constrain this URL in case this variable is too long for some names to fit the width of the block. I believe I am doing this correctly, but it still jumps to two lines for the longer names. I've selected "Do Not Break on Copyfit", as well as "Adjust Text to Fit" in the 'Overflow' setting.

Can this formatting only be applied to an entire text block, rather than just individual lines? And if applied to the entire text block, does it work on items (such as this) that are delineated by a hard return? Because of the flow of variables within the text, I can't make this PURL a separate text block. It must be part of the larger text area so it all moves down the page as needed with longer variables.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Thanks Dan. Is there documentation available for getting our feet wet with JS? I don't have a programmer on staff, but collectively we know enough to cheat here and there when we have to. The forum is helpful, but the information is fragmented. Does PTI have any documentation for beginners, or at the very least, how to apply custom programming? Or does the program allow basic editor functionality, but for more robust use we need a programmer? I've searched the Copyfitline results, and we're still unclear exactly where to apply this coding within FP Desktop for our situation. I know this stuff can get very specialized, but can you point me to anything as a resource? Thanks

Thanks Dan. Is there documentation available for getting our feet wet with JS? I don't have a programmer on staff, but collectively we know enough to cheat here and there when we have to. The forum is helpful, but the information is fragmented. Does PTI have any documentation for beginners, or at the very least, how to apply custom programming? Or does the program allow basic editor functionality, but for more robust use we need a programmer?

There's a whole lot you can do with JavaScript in general, and with FusionPro rules more specifically. I'm not sure what subset of that knowledge you would consider sufficient for getting your wet feet. Most functionality of "basic" jobs requires no scripting at all, but with all the varied kinds of templates out there and all the varied requirements therein, the scope can get pretty big pretty quickly. That said, the FusionPro User Guide and Rules Guide are good places to start. They're not much on plot or characters, but they're great resources. For general JavaScript knowledge, you can look at the links in my signature. But even if you memorize all of those, knowing exactly what kinds of rules to write to accomplish specific tasks in a FusionPro template is something that takes experience in template-building. That's something you can only get with time and practice.

PTI also offers some excellent training courses for FusionPro VDP. And if you get stuck, there's always this forum, Support, and custom Consulting services for template-building.

I've searched the Copyfitline results, and we're still unclear exactly where to apply this coding within FP Desktop for our situation. I know this stuff can get very specialized, but can you point me to anything as a resource? Thanks

Well, I'm still a bit unclear as to exactly what you're trying to do. Seeing the job would be worth a thousand words. But if I understand correctly, you probably want to turn off full-flow copyfitting (uncheck "Adjust text to fit"), and create a JavaScript rule to wrap the URL in question in the CopyfitLine rule, something like this:

return CopyfitLine("", Field("PURL"), "Arial", 20, 137, 6, false);

Then you can insert that rule into your text frame in place of the field name. The function is documented here:

http://forums.pti.com/showpost.php?p=6251&postcount=3

Again, though, I can't just tell you what parameters to put in there without knowing more about the job. You might want to collect it up and post it here.