QR Code for contacts

aronallenson

I am finding some inconsistencies in the way different readers consume a QR code to add a contact. I know FP uses the mecard format.

I want to specify more details such as:

- business phone

- Mobile phone

- Work address

- Company name

- more

Is there a way to use vcard format in FP?

Windows 7, FP 7.2p1d, Acro 8

Yes, in FusionPro 7.2, if you go into the New Rule dialog and click Graphic, there's a template rule named "QR Contact (vCard)".

You can also search this forum for "vCard" and find a lot of other examples. In many of those other threads, you'll find my caveat that the vCard encoding is much more verbose and results in a larger barcode than the MECARD format. And I wouldn't count on vCard making your barcodes more portable either; if anything, there's less support for it among scanning devices than for MECARD.

Thanks, do you have any suggestions as to ways to load a contact via QR across that will devices and software?

One thought was using a QR to go to web page and then loading the contact from there. I haven't been able to activate the iPhone contact list via the web.

Thanks Dan

Thanks, do you have any suggestions as to ways to load a contact via QR across that will devices and software?

Not really. This is still a fairly new technology, and support for reading the contact info and populating a contact varies greatly among devices. It's a bit like the early days of the Web.

One thought was using a QR to go to web page and then loading the contact from there.

Yes, this is fairly common as well. Obviously it requires an Internet connection.

I haven't been able to activate the iPhone contact list via the web.

I can't speak to that. You might want to try an iPhone-related forum.

Archived