Switching Fonts in a template

daniel

I'm trying to switch a font so i can use chinese characters while using the same template. It looks right in fusionpro, but when i put it in marcom i get this (see attached file). Seen this problem before? I have it switching the page of the pdf to achieve the switch.

temp.jpg.641552863352f85640d85fcb22847c49.jpg

If the problem is specific to the MarcomCentral application, then the question should be asked in the MarcomCentral forum.

That said, you should be able to access the composition log file by changing the last part of the path to the output in your browser from ".pdf" to ".msg". That log file should have some information relevant to the problem.

sorry, took a while to figure out what you meant by output window. here you go:

Job started 17:04:50 - 1449536690.

Creator: FusionPro VDP Producer (API) 9.3.20

Computer Name: SDPFI04

Current working folder: D:\US\ImageServer\bin

Temporary files folder: C:\Users\Public\Documents\PTI\FusionPro\TEMP_8824\

Template File: \\sdfsc02.dc.pti.com\tempvol\tmp\z0q2ku5v.dif

Input File: \\sdfsc02.dc.pti.com\tempvol\tmp\z0q2ku5v.xml

Job Config File: \\sdfsc02.dc.pti.com\tempvol\tmp\z0q2ku5v.cfg

The <graphic> tag for copyhole "Photo" is missing a "file" or "resource" attribute; the invalid tag is ignored.

Composing record #1, input record 1

Font <Arial Unicode MS> italic style is not loaded, using normal style of this font family.

Job ended 17:04:56 - 1449536696.

Total Job Time: 6s

Template File: \\sdfsc02.dc.pti.com\tempvol\tmp\z0q2ku5v.dif

Input File: \\sdfsc02.dc.pti.com\tempvol\tmp\z0q2ku5v.xml

Job Config File: \\sdfsc02.dc.pti.com\tempvol\tmp\z0q2ku5v.cfg

Thanks. I don't see anything obvious in there. I'll have to look at the other job files to investigate further. Unfortunately, though, the files referenced there have already been removed. Can you compose the job again and post the new log file?

Here you go thanks!

http://images.printable.com/pFusion3Temp/vmzkasqs.msg

Job started 11:25:55 - 1449602755.

Creator: FusionPro VDP Producer (API) 9.3.20

Computer Name: SDPFI02

Current working folder: D:\US\ImageServer\bin

Temporary files folder: C:\Users\Public\Documents\PTI\FusionPro\TEMP_7652\

Template File: \\sdfsc02.dc.pti.com\tempvol\tmp\vmzkasqs.dif

Input File: \\sdfsc02.dc.pti.com\tempvol\tmp\vmzkasqs.xml

Job Config File: \\sdfsc02.dc.pti.com\tempvol\tmp\vmzkasqs.cfg

Unknown Tag /p ignored.

The <graphic> tag for copyhole "Photo" is missing a "file" or "resource" attribute; the invalid tag is ignored.

Composing record #1, input record 1

Font <Arial Unicode MS> italic style is not loaded, using normal style of this font family.

Unknown Tag /p ignored.

Job ended 11:25:59 - 1449602759.

Total Job Time: 4s

Hi Dan, is there a way to clear the fonts that FusionPro server loaded. Maybe one of them is corrupt. I tried going on another computer and loading fonts from there, but all I see is the old fonts I loaded on my other computer, it looks like it's stuck.

Hi Dan, is there a way to clear the fonts that FusionPro server loaded.

I don't understand what you mean by "clear the fonts that FusionPro server loaded." You're not running FusionPro Server, you're running FusionPro VDP Creator on your Mac, right? If you really want to, you can remove both the fonts.ini file and the Fonts folder from "/Library/Preferences/PTI/FusionPro", then do a Load All Fonts again.

I tried going on another computer and loading fonts from there, but all I see is the old fonts I loaded on my other computer, it looks like it's stuck.

I'm confused by this as well. Where exactly is that you "see the old fonts" from the other computer?

Actually, though, I think the fact that you have the same fonts on a different computer is part of the problem. Specifically, I think that the Assets.dat file that you uploaded to Marcom for this template is not the same one that was originally collected with the template. In fact, it actually looks like you uploaded a different Assets.dat since yesterday.

If I compose the job with the 27.3 MB Assets.dat file dated from December 8, which I grabbed from the Marcom server yesterday, then the output appears wrong, and matches the wrong output in the picture in your original post.

But if I compose the job with the 69.8 MB Assets.dat file dated from December 9, which I grabbed from the Marcom server today, then the output appears correctly.

However, neither of those Assets.dat files seem to match the DIF file uploaded with the job.

The bottom line is that you need to make sure that all of the files uploaded to MarcomCentral for this job come from the same Collect operation. If all those files are in sync, the output should be correct.

I'm not sure how FusionPro works. All i know is that when I go on a different computer that doesn't have "Font A" and I choose to load all fonts from FusionPro "Font A" appears in the PTI folder. So I assume it's pulling the font from a server. I think the fonts on that server are corrupt, so I want to know how to delete everything on there so I can start fresh.

The reason why the assets.dat is different is because one is from my computer (27mb) and the other is from a PTI developer's computer. I can't figure out why my computer's assets.dat doesn't work. I need to figure out a fix on my computer though because as I develop more templates or tweak the ones developed by PTI I will recollect the job and upload it.

I'm not sure how FusionPro works.

Understood. But at the same time, I'm not sure exactly how your computer is set up, nor how your fonts have been installed. That's why these kinds of problems are very difficult to diagnose in the context of this online forum.

I mean, you haven't even specified the versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and the operating system running on any of the computers you've mentioned in this thread. Nor have you said whether you're using any third-party font utilities. I'm trying to help with very limited information, looking through a keyhole.

All i know is that when I go on a different computer that doesn't have "Font A" and I choose to load all fonts from FusionPro "Font A" appears in the PTI folder.

Which PTI folder specifically are you referring to? Do you mean "/Library/Preferences/PTI/FusionPro/Fonts"? What about the fonts.ini and fonts.err files? Are there references to "Font A" in there?

Also, by what mechanism are you determining that this other computer doesn't have "Font A" installed? Are you looking in the Font Book app? That's the definitive list of fonts installed on your Mac.

It could be that the "Font A" that you see in FusionPro has a slightly different name in the Font Book, or in other applications. It may show up as "Font A Regular" or "Font-A". Any given font can have multiple names.

So I assume it's pulling the font from a server.

I don't understand why you would assume that. FusionPro loads the fonts installed on the system, by making system API calls. It has no way to "pull a font from a server." Now, if you're using some kind of third-party font utility, that utility may be making a font available on your system. But FusionPro still just goes by what the operating system tells it are the installed system fonts.

When you collect a job, the fonts are collected through Assets.dat, so that they can be used to compose the job on a remote machine running FusionPro Server. But whatever is on some other remote machine has nothing to do with the fonts that get loaded into your FusionPro fonts.ini file.

I think the fonts on that server are corrupt, so I want to know how to delete everything on there so I can start fresh.

I still don't know what "that server" is. So I don't know how to "delete everything on there." But I don't think that is meaningful.

The reason why the assets.dat is different is because one is from my computer (27mb) and the other is from a PTI developer's computer. I can't figure out why my computer's assets.dat doesn't work.

Well, again, I'm just looking at files uploaded to the Marcom servers, and there's no way to know from looking at them what computer they came from, at least not for the Assets.dat files. This is not the best way to analyze a problem like this.

I need to figure out a fix on my computer though because as I develop more templates or tweak the ones developed by PTI I will recollect the job and upload it.

In order to really figure this out correctly, you need to work with Support. You may need to send more files, including the fonts.ini and fonts.err files, the original font files themselves (OTF, TTF, etc.), and the fonts created in FusionPro's fonts folder. But this public forum is not the appropriate place to post such files, especially fonts which are not licensed to for public distribution.

I thought because there's a program called FusionPro Server that it's uploading the fonts to a server. Also, my PC doesn't have "Font A" so why is "Font A" appearing when I load all fonts? It must be getting it from somewhere other than itself? I just want to reset everything so maybe any corrupt fonts can be removed.

I thought because there's a program called FusionPro Server that it's uploading the fonts to a server. Also, my PC doesn't have "Font A" so why is "Font A" appearing when I load all fonts? It must be getting it from somewhere other than itself? I just want to reset everything so maybe any corrupt fonts can be removed.

I don't have any more answers without any more information. You could at least try to answer some of my clarification-seeking questions.

But the bottom line is that I can't figure out why that font is appearing just by back-and-forth here in this forum. You need to work with Support.

I've tried support, not really getting any solutions. They keep telling me to reinstall things.

The basic problem is in FusionPro it looks like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vi27rx7225...%20AM.png?dl=0

And in Marcom when it's uploaded it looks like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iac14av4ru...%20AM.png?dl=0

I think it's a font collecting issue. Latin characters are not tracked out. Also any other big CJK fonts I install on my computer won't be loaded to FusionPro. Not sure if the issue is related.

I've tried support, not really getting any solutions. They keep telling me to reinstall things.

Ask Support to forward your issue to me. I can't work with you off-list just from the forum, but I can work with you if the issue is escalated through Support channels. You will eventually have to answer some of my specific clarifying questions about versions, what paths you're looking at, what font utilities you may be using, etc.

The basic problem is in FusionPro it looks like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vi27rx7225...%20AM.png?dl=0

And in Marcom when it's uploaded it looks like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iac14av4ru...%20AM.png?dl=0

Those both give me 404 errors. But I already understand the basic problem, from the picture in your original post. The thing is that I can't figure out what's going wrong without more information. Again, I've asked you a lot of questions in this thread, and you have been either unwilling or unable to answer most of them.

I think it's a font collecting issue. Latin characters are not tracked out.

Yes, it is probably a font collecting issue. Although I'm still not convinced that the files being used for the Marcom composition are all from the same collect.

Also any other big CJK fonts I install on my computer won't be loaded to FusionPro. Not sure if the issue is related.

Do you have "Enable Asian Character Support" checked on the Advanced Settings dialog?

Edited by Dan Korn

Sorry, the reason I didn't answer your questions is because I don't really understand most of your questions. Here's what I can figure, I don't have a programming background:

Version: FusionPro VDP Creator 9.3.26

Paths: ? /Library/Fonts

Font Utilities: None? Fontbook on Mac?

Sorry, the reason I didn't answer your questions is because I don't really understand most of your questions. Here's what I can figure, I don't have a programming background:

Version: FusionPro VDP Creator 9.3.26

Paths: ? /Library/Fonts

Font Utilities: None? Fontbook on Mac?

I really don't see how having a programming background affects your ability to answer questions such as what version of Mac OS X and Acrobat you're running, nor questions such as these:

Also, by what mechanism are you determining that this other computer doesn't have "Font A" installed? Are you looking in the Font Book app?

I mean, you're telling me that you "go on a different computer that doesn't have 'Font A'," and I'm asking you, how exactly are you determining whether that other computer has "Font A" on it, and you say you can't answer because you don't have a programming background? You can't tell me what it is that you were looking at on your computer screen that has a list of fonts without "Font A" on there because you don't write code?

I really am trying to help you out here, but you need to try to meet me halfway. If you don't understand my questions, then say so, or ask me another question, and we'll work it out. If you just ignore my questions, then we're never going to get anywhere.

Yeah I don't understand your questions. What question do you need answered?

Well, for starters, I've asked you this question three times now: When you say that "go on a different computer that doesn't have 'Font A'," and I'm asking you, how exactly are you determining whether that other computer has "Font A" on it? Are you looking at the Mac Font Book program? Or the Windows Fonts Control Panel? Or something else?

I'm using two computers, a Windows computer and a Mac.

Also, this is the first time in this entire thread that you have said that your other computer was a Windows machine. Did you think that I would just figure that out via ESP or something?

That fact that you are using two different operating systems on your two different machines is a very important clue here. It would be very easy to upload, say, the Assets.dat from your Windows machine along with the other template files from your Mac, or vice-versa, which would almost certainly cause the kind of problem you're seeing.

So how about this: Can you answer these specific questions?

1. What is the version of FusionPro on the Mac computer?
  2. What is the version of Mac OS X on the Mac computer?
  3. What is the version of Acrobat on the Mac computer?
  4. What program/utility are you using to determine the list of installed fonts on the Mac computer?
  5. What is the version of FusionPro on the Windows computer?
  6. What is the version of Windows on the Windows computer?
  7. What is the version of Acrobat on the Windows computer?
  8. What program/utility are you using to determine the list of installed fonts on the Windows computer?

If you don't understand any of these questions, please ask for clarification.

"Font A" is usable in different programs on the computer. I also look at Mac Font Book and Windows Fonts to see what fonts are installed. They don't match exactly with the fonts in FusionPro. The fonts are in all user folders and in the system libraries. I think there's an issue keeping it from loading CJK fonts. Asian is enabled. MacRoman is unchecked. The problem started on my Mac, I only used the PC to determine if it was a Mac problem. I don't use the PC otherwise. Both had the same results though.

What is the version of FusionPro on the Mac computer?

I have the latest one from the website, 9.3

What is the version of Mac OS X on the Mac computer?

Latest version, El Capitan

What is the version of Acrobat on the Mac computer?

Latest version Adobe Acrobat Pro DC

What program/utility are you using to determine the list of installed fonts on the Mac computer?

Default system ones

What is the version of FusionPro on the Windows computer?

What is the version of Windows on the Windows computer?

I'm not sure how to find this out

What is the version of Acrobat on the Windows computer?

What program/utility are you using to determine the list of installed fonts on the Windows computer?

The windows Font folder

Okay, now we're getting somewhere.

I also look at Mac Font Book and Windows Fonts to see what fonts are installed.

Thanks.

"Font A" is usable in different programs on the computer.

Wait a minute. Is this the same "Font A" that you said earlier wasn't installed?

All i know is that when I go on a different computer that doesn't have "Font A" and I choose to load all fonts from FusionPro "Font A" appears in the PTI folder.

The two statements in Red above seem contradictory. If the computer doesn't have "Font A" installed, then how can it be usable in different programs? Or are you talking about "Font A" on two different computers?

How about, instead of referring to "Font A", can you be more specific about exactly what font you're talking about that appears in the PTI folder but you think isn't installed on the system? Or at least give me one example? What is the exact name name of the font that you see in FusionPro? Is there a similar name in the Mac Font Book or the Windows Fonts folder (or Control Panel)?

They don't match exactly with the fonts in FusionPro. The fonts are in all user folders and in the system libraries.

Keep in mind that the name of a font depends on who is asking, and in what context. For instance, Windows may report the name of a font like "Arial Regular," which is a font instance (style) name, but FusionPro will show just "Arial" (the font family name). On Mac, fonts can have Mac-specific names. (And fonts can have different names in different languages, such as English and Japanese, as well.) So just because two different apps show a font name slightly differently, that doesn't necessarily mean that one is wrong; it's just the way things are with fonts.

If you can give me a few examples of some of the font names that don't match, I can probably sort them out. Well, I can at least try do that with the fonts.ini and fonts.err files (see more about those at the end of this post).

I think there's an issue keeping it from loading CJK fonts. Asian is enabled. MacRoman is unchecked.

What exactly makes you think there's an issue with CJK fonts in particular?

The problem started on my Mac, I only used the PC to determine if it was a Mac problem. I don't use the PC otherwise. Both had the same results though.

Okay, well, I doubt that you have exactly the same set of fonts installed on your Windows and Mac computers, so the results can't be exactly the same. Again, though, I need more specific information. For specifically which fonts are you seeing the same results on both machines?

What is the version of FusionPro on the Mac computer?

I have the latest one from the website, 9.3

Thanks, although the specific release version, such as 9.3.22, would be good to know here. All you need to do is select "About FusionPro" from the FusionPro menu in Acrobat.

What program/utility are you using to determine the list of installed fonts on the Mac computer?

Default system ones

So, the Font Book app, right?

What is the version of FusionPro on the Windows computer?

As on Mac, the exact release version would be helpful here.

What is the version of Windows on the Windows computer?

I'm not sure how to find this out

If you type "how do i determine the version of windows i have" into Google, it says this:

Click the Start button, enter Computer in the search box, right-click Computer, and then click Properties. Look under Windows edition for the version and edition of Windows that your PC is running.

Or, you can click Start, then "Help and Support", and type "windows version" into the little search box there.

What is the version of Acrobat on the Windows computer?

What program/utility are you using to determine the list of installed fonts on the Windows computer?

The windows Font folder

Thanks.

Okay, now I need you to do one more thing for me (well, actually two things). On both of the machines, the Windows computer and the Mac, I need to you to locate the fonts.ini and fonts.err files.. On Windows, they will be in the folder "C:\Users\Public\Documents\PTI\FusionPro", and on Mac, they will be in the folder "/Library/Preferences/PTI/FusionPro". Can you find the fonts.ini and the fonts.err from both machines, and post them here for me?

Again, this is all easier to do through Support than here on the forum, but we seem to be stuck here for now.

The font on my Mac is Source Hans Pro TW. It's not installed on the PC, but when I load fonts in FusionPro it shows up in the PTI folder. I also installed Arial Unicode MS on the PC in the fonts folder and when I load fonts it doesn't show up in the PTI folder.

The font on my Mac is Source Hans Pro TW. It's not installed on the PC, but when I load fonts in FusionPro it shows up in the PTI folder. I also installed Arial Unicode MS on the PC in the fonts folder and when I load fonts it doesn't show up in the PTI folder.

Okay, thanks. I'm still not sure exactly what folder you mean by "the PTI folder," but what I really need now are those fonts.ini and fonts.err files.

Maybe we should forget about the PC issue and focus on the Mac. The reason why is I only installed FusionPro on a PC temporarily to see if my Mac was the problem. But now I no longer have that PC. I'm back to my Mac. I can't load any of my special CJK fonts into FusionPro. Here are the list of the fonts that don't show up in FusionPro:

Droid Sans Fallback

Noto Sans Mono CJK SC

Source Hans Pro CJK SC

Apple SC Gothic Neo

Apple Gothic is useable in FusionPro but when I preview it looks like the Marcom issue. Latin characters are collapsed.

Arial Unicode MS is useable in FusionPro and looks right in preview, but doesn't work right when I collect the assets file and upload to MarcomCentral as you saw in the screenshot. A person from Graphics Support collected a similar template and I uploaded their assets file and it worked fine in MarcomCentral. But when I collect the same template on my own, I result in the same problem. So it must be something on my FusionPro software wrong. They had me reinstall it several times, same issue happened. And the PC also had the same issue with a clean install.

Here are my files:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vrk10u12nzo8gur/fonts.ini?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4yfmpusww19rnop/fonts.err?dl=0

Thanks for your responsiveness!

Edited by daniel