with accented character

umakadar

Hi,

I am using Fusion pro server 4.1pb1 on Windows server 2003

I have an exported tab delimited text file with UTF-8 encoding which has few asscented ñ characters. When I open this text file in notepad it shows ñ character, but when I open the text file in excel file, it shows as ñ and that is what it prints when I compose.

How do I make this character appear as it is? Please advise.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Hello, I see this problem is from 2012 but I don't see a resolution besides upgrading. I'm having the same issues seeing the special character in Trē. I'm using Fusion Pro 9.1.0 and Adobe Acrobat 9.5.5.

The Data Source I'm using is a .CSV file. The ē displays properly in both Excel and the Preview Record Selector, but completely disappears in the actual adobe acrobat preview that it generates. Any ideas? Please let me know if you need any further information and thank you in advance for looking.

You need to ensure your data file is saved as Unicode or UTF-8.

Then enable the Unicode support by doing the following.

First open your data file in Notepad ora Text Editor.

Select File>>Save As.

In the area where it indicates “Encoding”, select “Unicode”.

In Fusionpro, Select “FusionPro>>Advanced>>Advanced Settings”

Check the box for “Enable Asian Character Support” and reload All fonts.

When linking the data file, you can use the default encoding settings in the data wizard or specify it in this dialog

Mac Roman or Latin-1.

You will also need to ensure that the font being used for the text, support the characters in the language.

A good font to test is the “Arial Unicode MS” against the data being used to ensure the text displays correctly.

Thanks for that. I"m attempting to follow your steps, but after checking the box "Enable Asian Character Support" and clicking ok, I get this error:

Error creating registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\PTI\FusionPro\Paths

Please locate the configure.exe program in the FusionPro installation location, usually "C:\Program Files (x86)\PTI\FusionPro" on a 64-bit OS or "C:\Program Files\PTI\FusionPro" on a 32-bit OS. Right-click configure.exe and select "Run as administrator." Enter an admin user name and password if prompted. Then click "Advanced Settings" and you will be able to click "Enable Asian Character Support" and then OK without an error.

You need to ensure your data file is saved as Unicode or UTF-8.

Then enable the Unicode support by doing the following.

First open your data file in Notepad ora Text Editor.

Select File>>Save As.

In the area where it indicates “Encoding”, select “Unicode”.

In Fusionpro, Select “FusionPro>>Advanced>>Advanced Settings”

Check the box for “Enable Asian Character Support” and reload All fonts.

When linking the data file, you can use the default encoding settings in the data wizard or specify it in this dialog

Mac Roman or Latin-1.

You will also need to ensure that the font being used for the text, support the characters in the language.

A good font to test is the “Arial Unicode MS” against the data being used to ensure the text displays correctly.

Thanks to Dan for helping with the Error in the previous post i had.

I have followed step for step but still get the same results. I've made sure that the .csv file was opened in notepad and saved with Unicode encoding, marked the asian character settings and have checked the data file loading was set to Latin -1. The character is still missing from adobe preview. Anything else I could be doing wrong?

I have followed step for step but still get the same results. I've made sure that the .csv file was opened in notepad and saved with Unicode encoding, marked the asian character settings and have checked the data file loading was set to Latin -1. The character is still missing from adobe preview. Anything else I could be doing wrong?

It's hard to tell what's going wrong just from Preview. You need to do a regular composition, not a Preview, and then click the View Log button, and there should be a relevant error or warning message there in the log (.msg) file.

Looks like ē is NOT one of the characters it supports. I tried this composition with this text Dñvid Ö. ēAlsháéíóúüñ¿¡ evruthing prints fine except for that ē which shows up as pipe |. I get the error "Text processing is limited to Latin-1/MacRoman characters only. Go to Compose->Advanced tab to remove the limitation.". If I did that, the display is different than the pipe but not ē.

Looks like ē is NOT one of the characters it supports. I tried this composition with this text Dñvid Ö. ēAlsháéíóúüñ¿¡ evruthing prints fine except for that ē which shows up as pipe |. I get the error "Text processing is limited to Latin-1/MacRoman characters only. Go to Compose->Advanced tab to remove the limitation.". If I did that, the display is different than the pipe but not ē.

We've pretty much reached the limit of what anyone can do to help without seeing the job files, including the font you're using. I recommend collecting up the job and sending it to FusionProSupport@PTI.com.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi alla of you,

I just wanted to share my experience of accented characters since it differs slightly from yours. FP 9.2.30

1) Data file is Encoded with ANSI

2) In fusion Pro , defaut encoding is used for data file and "Limit to Latin-1 characters" is CHECKED in the advanced Tab in Composition menu.

( I'm running Win Seven French, thus triggering Latin-1

3) Asain Characters were not supported. A second test with asian characters supported did the same result.

All characters were correctly displayed and composed in the PDF only.

Some were missing in the Data preview.

At the reverse, some posts requested to encode datas in UTFx; in such a case characters were correctly displayed in the Data preview but some were missing in FP.

Best regards,

Hi alla of you,

I just wanted to share my experience of accented characters since it differs slightly from yours. FP 9.2.30

1) Data file is Encoded with ANSI

2) In fusion Pro , defaut encoding is used for data file and "Limit to Latin-1 characters" is CHECKED in the advanced Tab in Composition menu.

( I'm running Win Seven French, thus triggering Latin-1

3) Asain Characters were not supported. A second test with asian characters supported did the same result.

All characters were correctly displayed and composed in the PDF only.

Some were missing in the Data preview.

At the reverse, some posts requested to encode datas in UTFx; in such a case characters were correctly displayed in the Data preview but some were missing in FP.

Best regards,

Thanks for the info. However, as I said in my last post, it's very difficult for anyone to reproduce exactly what you're seeing without having all of your job files and your fonts.

If you want to collect up the job, and the fonts, and send them to FusionProSupport@PTI.com, we would appreciate that. We could take a look and try to figure out why the Preview output is different than the composed PDF, and hopefully fix the problem.

Hi Dan,

I'm joining the data file so that you can check on your side if anything goes wrong with FP.

But I intended to say that both Preview of composition and Output of composition were OK.

It was only the preview of datas in FP that was wrong, the last 2 characters are missing.

In the screenshot joined, CustomFieldThree reproduces that error in the data viewer while it is well composed below.

Best regards

BDD ppcANSI2.txt

screenshot.PNG.5c8ce1a5b5a5bf5202e26cc37eaea2f2.PNG