Go Back   MarcomCentral (PTI) and FusionPro User Communities > Software-Related Talk > Getting Started > Sample Jobs

Notices

Old February 4th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Default External Data File Sample - Very Simple Statement

This sample job demonstrates the ability in the FusionPro VDP products to link to multiple additional external data files, perform a lookup in those files, and return results in the composition process.

To demonstrate this capability, the sample job is of a very simple statement that contains multiple items for each recipient.

The main input data file contains a customer name and a CustomerID field. There are 3 records in the input data file so 3 statements will be created. Here's the data in the main input data file:

Code:
Name     CustomerID
Willis   123
Linda    456
Gerry    789
A secondary data file also exists. This data file has the fields CID (the customer ID), Product Purchased, and Price for that product. For each customer, there can be multiple products in this secondary data file and all must be returned in a single statement for the customer. Here's the data in the secondary data file:

Code:
CID    Product-Purchased                   Price
123    LCD TV                              $1495.00
123    Surround Speakers                   $279.00
123    Tax                                 $141.92
456    Home Media Server                   $2,499.00
456    Universal Remote                    $50.00
456    Media Zone Network Adapter          $79.99
456    Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Combo       $109.00
456    Tax                                 $219.04
789    Goo-B-Gone                          $9.95
789    Tax                                 $0.77
Using the FusionPro JavaScript function "ExternalDataFileEx()", this sample job does the following:

• Link to the secondary data file with the purchase information in it (this is done in an OnJobStart rule)
  • For each record in the main input data file, find all items purchased by that customer by cross referencing the "CustomerID" field in the main input data file with the "CID" field in the secondary input data file.
  • Apply basic formatting to the display of the items purchased.
  • If the purchase item is "Tax", format it differently from the rest of the line items.
This sample has additional comments within the JavaScript code that explains the logic in greater detail.
Attached Files
File Type: zip External-Data-File-Example.zip (5.7 KB, 604 views)
File Type: pdf output-charges-summary.pdf (71.1 KB, 385 views)
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Default Re: External Data File Sample - Very Simple Statement

Hi all,

Just a comment on this job, I wouldn't go so far as to call this a "statement" as it doesn't contain much more than a list of charges for each customer in the primary input data file.

This is a simple demonstration of the ExternalDataFileEx() method for working with secondary external data files more than anything and is some logic you certainly could use in a "real" statement (you know - along with the address of the recepient, titles on the columns of data, a "total" for the charges, and other necessary statement info).

What's the interest out there for perhaps some more complex statement type samples here in the sample jobs forum?
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Junior Community Member

i'd like to see some more complex statement type samples here in the sample jobs forum.

-Meir Galimidi
Allegra Print and Imaging
Old October 23rd, 2009, 06:13 AM
Forum n00b

I would like to se samples as well. Thanks.
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Forum n00b

Where are all the samples?
Old December 1st, 2009, 09:19 AM
Forum n00b

I have an application that one of my customers wants to do, which could use this but would want a total at the bottom of the statement.
Old December 1st, 2009, 09:59 AM
Forum n00b

Yea- a sample would be great, maybe something that would list transactions and totals with logic for multiple page generation. Maybe Santa has a copy of Fusion Pro. I could put the request for transactional data samples on my Christmas list!
Old December 1st, 2009, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi all,

We have been looking at an enhancement or two specifically to make the creation of transactional jobs a bit easier with FusionPro (less coding and FusionPro tagged markup). We are currently tracking this enhancement for the next version of FusionPro - version 6.2.

Once we have this released (targeting Q1), we are looking to provide a sample that shows something a bit closer to a complete statement type job.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:55 AM
Regular Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhilger View Post
Hi all,

We have been looking at an enhancement or two specifically to make the creation of transactional jobs a bit easier with FusionPro (less coding and FusionPro tagged markup). We are currently tracking this enhancement for the next version of FusionPro - version 6.2.

Once we have this released (targeting Q1), we are looking to provide a sample that shows something a bit closer to a complete statement type job.
Cool! This will have many uses...
Field Service Engineer - HP Indigo
Old January 24th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Junior Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhilger View Post
Hi all,

I starting to set up a job that will have variable pages for each record (some will be 1 page, some 2) Its an end of year tax statement. I'm looking to have it print duplexed, and the 1 page statements will get a blank page for the back. Also need to have it total on page 1 or page 2, depending on the number of lines. (Not number of records. Some records will only use 1 line, some will use several)

Were any sample jobs mentioned above ever posted?

I'm still fairly new to Fusion Pro (running 6.2 right now) and this will be the most complex job I have set up to this point. Looking for as much info as possible.

Thanks for any assistance!

Ronnie