Setting up a process to build multiple files

Zeeker

Hi, I'm new to Fusion Pro and have version 5. I need to set up a process which would take information from a excel spreadsheet or a text file and:

Place copy and one graphic on to a PDF file. The copy could have more than one field and I need to use different fonts and sizes for all the files depending on the job and the graphic file would be different on each file as well. I have a server where all the graphic files are located so that's not a problem but to put this all together is driving me nuts. Can someone help me... Thanks:)

Brian, I guess I should clarify.

We use Fusion Pro for our mailing services dept. Now they want to use it in our Foil stamping dept. on Napkins. My question is, we have 14 different templates, each with different aspects. Some of the napkins will have copy and graphics and some with just copy. Not to big of a problem, where it gets a little crazy is we have approx. 1500 images and 40 different fonts, each napkin will have different size fonts and a different graphic placed on it. I need to get Fusion Pro to pull up the proper template for the job and assign copy and graphics to the file as well. The data file will be either an Excel spreadsheet or a text file. Is their a easy way of doing this, or do I need to use tags because of the different font sizes. We do around 400 of these files a day and it takes 4 people all day to lay them out. I am pretty new to Fusion Pro and just looking for a little guidance in the best way to set this up. Thanks

Zeeker, I wonder if Printable's web to print solution would work better for you? Hopefully someone can chime-in with a solution for the Desktop version you have and can get something going? Otherwise, if you could get the orders to come through via the web, print ready, and track-able it might be something worthwhile to look at.

Brian, I guess I should clarify.

We use Fusion Pro for our mailing services dept. Now they want to use it in our Foil stamping dept. on Napkins. My question is, we have 14 different templates, each with different aspects. Some of the napkins will have copy and graphics and some with just copy. Not to big of a problem, where it gets a little crazy is we have approx. 1500 images and 40 different fonts, each napkin will have different size fonts and a different graphic placed on it. I need to get Fusion Pro to pull up the proper template for the job and assign copy and graphics to the file as well. The data file will be either an Excel spreadsheet or a text file. Is their a easy way of doing this, or do I need to use tags because of the different font sizes. We do around 400 of these files a day and it takes 4 people all day to lay them out. I am pretty new to Fusion Pro and just looking for a little guidance in the best way to set this up. Thanks

This is hard to grasp in the abstract. A more specific example of what you're trying to accomplish may help to clarify further.

That said, this kind of thing is very easy to accomplish with FusionPro Server. You can just select the appropriate DIF file (template) on the FusionPro.exe command-line. Or you can use the DIF API to modify the contents of a baseline template (or generate one from scratch).

If you're just using FP Desktop, you can certainly write JavaScript logic to modify fonts and sizes of text, as well as the position of variable graphics. FusionPro 6.0 introduced some new features that facilitate this. In that case, this is really a template-building kind of question, which can be hard to answer in this forum without much more specific information.

Archived