Which Acrobat is best?

Mark

I'm currently running FusionPro Desktop v5.1P2c through Acrobat 7 on Mac osX 10.4.11. My question is would Acrobat 8 or 9 work better?

Are you having issues or limitations with the current setup?

If it ain't broke...................:D

Any InDesign files with shadows, or other opacity effects, make pdfs that give bad results when sent as vps files to our Creo digital press rip, when made using FusionPro plug in.

I can get good pdfs if I make them first then bring them into acrobat to set all my variable data etc. Problem is that if a customer supplies a pdf I have no choice.

I was just looking for an answer through changing acrobat versions, hoping that a newer version fixes some unknown (to me) bug.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just looking for an answer through changing acrobat versions, hoping that a newer version fixes some unknown (to me) bug.

Mark, I would say to upgrade to CS4 and FusionPro 6.0 you are looking at around $1500.00 on your Mac. $299.00 for FusionPro and $1,100.00 for the CS4 upgrade from your CS2 I believe? You could just upgrade FusionPro if you wanted to use on your current Adobe Suite.

Your customers will probably dictate when you upgrade also. I know our shop has to have the latest and greatest releases so that we are compatible with designers and their design files. Not every client sends a .PDF ready to go at our shop, it would be nice.:D

I would say research the new features that 6.0 gives over your 5.1 and the 5.8 version and make the determination if you really do need to upgrade.

Here is the release notes on both 5.8 and 6.0 below.

http://static.printable.com/release_notes/fp_v5.8_releaseNotes.pdf

http://static.printable.com/release_notes/fp_v6.0_releaseNotes.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
Mark, I agree, upgrading could be a good idea, however, keeping with what you have could work just fine. You can always use Adobe Acrobat to optimizing the PDF into something that works better with Fusion Pro and your RIP. Another easy option is to place the PDF in indesign and then Export a PDF with new settings.

Archived