Other Scaling Methods

gdellaiera

I was wondering if anyone has scaled images inside of a graphic frame in a way different than the presets (Best fit, Proportional fill, Fill to shortest edge & Fill)? We're building out a business card which our customers will be uploading (inside DSF) their own head shots to (per Marketing we can't host a gallery) and they don't always fit right. I've done some trial and error with best fit & clip and I've had varied results.

Has anyone else tried to do this?

• 2 weeks later...
I've attached the test version of the business card we are working through. The graphic frame is the exact size and there are a few images in there too.

Thanks, but looking at these files, it's still not clear to me what you're asking. Please be more specific about exactly what you want the output to look like for a particular graphic.

Yes, I see that its not quite clear as all of the images are sized appropriately. Let me see if I can clarify it:

The image frame is 0.75"x0.75" (as are the images). The frame is set to 'Best Fit' and allows users to upload their own image.

What I would like to do is run a script that takes images that are not the same proportions as the frame and resize them to fit better in the frame (clip option on the image frame has not helped with this). I'm kind of looking for a bleed/crop box type of thing here.

Its something that we can kind of work around, but would ultimately like to find a better way to handle the images.

Hopefully this clears things up a little bit!

What I would like to do is run a script that takes images that are not the same proportions as the frame and resize them to fit better in the frame

I get that, but "better" is not a very specific requirement. Within what parameters? How much of a difference in the aspect ratio (width vs. height) between the frame and the graphic do you want to support?

Can you provide an example of a graphic that doesn't fit well enough, and a mockup of how you do want it to fit?

(clip option on the image frame has not helped with this).

Yes, with "Best Fit", clipping has no effect, since, by definition, the graphic is scaled to fit within the clipping frame, so there's nothing to clip off. Have you tried "Fit to shortest edge" or "Proportional Fill" with clipping?

I'm kind of looking for a bleed/crop box type of thing here.

Not to be flippant, but that's what the scaling and clipping options do. I still don't understand exactly what you want that FusionPro doesn't already offer.

Its something that we can kind of work around, but would ultimately like to find a better way to handle the images.

Hopefully this clears things up a little bit!

Sorry, but it doesn't, not really. This is a case where I think some pictures may be worth more than thousands of words.