Import jpg.

Andrew Christensen

Hello, my name is Andrew I am new to Fusionpro. My question is this, I am printing several hundred names for a convention, the customer wants "Name" "What School Graduated From" and a "Picture" of the attendee, I am okay with building the vdp for the text however I am new to adding a picture, can someone please advise me on how to accomplish this task. Thank you, Andrew.

If you have the graphics locally on your machine, or they're accessible on your local network, the easiest thing is usually just to add them as resources to the job. From the menu in Acrobat, select FusionPro -> Data Definition -> Input Options, click Resources, then click "Add Multiple" and "Select Files", and browse to the graphics. You can multi-select in the file browser dialog by holding Ctrl on Windows or the Command (pretzel) key on Mac. Then the resources will be available to select in Graphic rules.

Dan, thank you for your step by step instructions they seem to be getting me there, however I am not quite home as of yet, when the GUI asks me to "Enter a search path" what path is this referring me to, as well as the "Enter the image name of a default graphic"? I assume the graphic it is referring me to is the name of the graphic. Now once I get this all figured out I have one more question for you, when I put in the search path will this include all the pictures in the path? The pictures have a number (1 to 487) corresponding to the name field, the photo field is A the name filed is B. Thanks once again, Andrew.

Dan Korn, Duh I still am in need of help (just a poor Utah country boy) this is as far as I seem to be able to navigate, please advise. Attached is a screen shot of where I am. Thanks, Andrew

I don't see any screenshot attached. But I presume you're using the "Insert Picture Rule" template.

Dan, thank you for your step by step instructions they seem to be getting me there, however I am not quite home as of yet, when the GUI asks me to "Enter a search path" what path is this referring me to, as well as the "Enter the image name of a default graphic"? I assume the graphic it is referring me to is the name of the graphic. Now once I get this all figured out I have one more question for you, when I put in the search path will this include all the pictures in the path? The pictures have a number (1 to 487) corresponding to the name field, the photo field is A the name filed is B. Thanks once again, Andrew.

I don't understand what you mean by, "the photo field is A the name filed is B." What are "A" and "B"?

What would help me to help you would be a specific example of a name of a graphic file and the value of the data field you're trying to use to reference it.

Dan, almost there (wow this has been a struggle) sorry I have not been able to figure this out, I have had a lot on my mind as of this past few weeks it seems I am not able to keep focused due to some outside influences. Here is where I am getting a roadblock, when it asks for "Enter a search path" & "Enter the image name of a default graphic" what do I enter into these fields? I have tried the name of the picture files with no luck. Please advise.

Thank you,

Andrew Christensen

Dan, almost there (wow this has been a struggle) sorry I have not been able to figure this out, I have had a lot on my mind as of this past few weeks it seems I am not able to keep focused due to some outside influences. Here is where I am getting a roadblock, when it asks for "Enter a search path" & "Enter the image name of a default graphic" what do I enter into these fields? I have tried the name of the picture files with no luck. Please advise.

I don't know the names of the files and folders on your machine, so I can't tell you what to enter in those two fields without knowing a bit more.

The search path is the full path to the folder containing the graphics, probably something like "C:\some folder name\some subfolder name" (without quotes), or maybe "\\server\share\folder", or if you're on Mac, something like "/Users/andrew/Pictures". The default graphic is the name of a file to use when no match is found to the field value, probably something like "YourFileName.jpg". Again, though, I can't just guess the folder and file names on your machine.

As I said before, if you can provide a specific example of the name of a graphic file and the name and a sample value of the data field you're trying to use to reference it, then I can come up with more specific suggestions. There's probably just a couple lines of JavaScript that will work fine, without needing all that other information in the template rule.

Edited by Dan Korn
typo

Dan, I have a Mac as my work station. The file is on my hard drive named "digital 10.5" in a folder called current jobs/ron digital stuff/mission reunion/photos/photo 1 through 179 with names attached to each photo. I have also added the photos in pictures places, specific name to one of the photos is photo 1 Stein Aanensen.jpg. I trust this is what is needed, please advise.

Thank you,

Andrew Christensen

Andrew, are you photos named "photo 1 Stein Aanensen.jpg"? Or is photo 1 named "Stein Aanensen.jpg"? I think the second of the two options is a better naming convention but I think you could make either work using this code:

var path = "/jobs/ron digital stuff/mission reunion/photos/";
var name = Field("YOUR NAME FIELD HERE"); // replace with your name field

return CreateResource(path + name + ".jpg");

If you have your image named: "photo # Name.jpg" then it would help that photo 1 corresponded with record one, photo 2 corresponded with record 2, etc. For example: if Stein Aanensen's photo is titled: "photo 1 Stein Aanensen.jpg," then he should be the first record in the data file. If that's the case you could use this code:

var path = "/jobs/ron digital stuff/mission reunion/photos/";
var name = Field("YOUR NAME FIELD HERE"); // replace with your name field

return CreateResource(path + "photo " + CurrentRecordNumber() + " " + name + ".jpg");

Hope that helps.