Suppressing with multiple variables on one line

Matt Centa

Still new to this and Need help with the suppress when multiple variable are not used. I have set these variables as suppress if Empty, but if phone and fax are not used I would like the address two drop down to the next available line same goes for if no cell or direct info is entered. Bottom justified. Also, I have tried to create a rule for the vertical line bar that separates the phone fax, and cell and direct, it works when all fields are entered, and when the left field is filled out, but when the right field is filled out it leaves the Vertical bar there.

addr1 | City, State zip

«RulePhoneNumberLabel» «RuleBarPhoneFax» «RuleFaxNumberLabel»

«RuluCellNumberLabel» «RuleBarDirectCell» «RuleDirectNumberLabel»

«Email»

Example of card

addr1 | City, State zip - Static address

Phone: ***.***.***x Ext.*** | Fax: ***.***.***x

Cell: ***.***.***x | Direct: ***.***.***x

Email

if (Rule("RuleFaxNumberLabel")=="")

return ""

else return " | ";

if (Rule("RuleDirectNumberLabel")=="")

return ""

else return " | ";

Hope this makes sense, Any help would be great thanks.

Desktop FusionPro VDP version 7.1P1c OS Mac 10.5.8 Acrobat 9.4.1

The bar rule seems to work great, Thanks

Any idea of how i can can have the fields suppress if one of the lines is not used ie (Phone&Fax) or (Direct&Cell). I currently have it set up as an Empty fields, but i do want them to drop down. If i use Empty variables if they do not fill out Cell or fax the entire line drops. What the best way to go about this.

Thanks for the help.

I just want to have it drop down completely when both fields are not used (i.e. phone and fax or Cell and direct). I would like to leave it stacked. Currently it leaves a break. If i make it Suppress empty variable it drops the info that they type in there if they only want a phone number or just a cell number. Hope that makes some sense.

In the example you started with you have:

«RulePhoneNumberLabel» «RuleBarPhoneFax» «RuleFaxNumberLabel»

There are spaces between the rules. When you set the line to "suppress if empty" it still sees those spaces as data and so the line is not empty. In the rule we did, there is a space in front and behind the pipe. I would take out the spaces in between your rules and if you want more space between the numbers and the pipe, write it into the rule, either with the space bar or the nonbreaking space html tag < > with the "treat returned strings as tagged" box checked in your rule.

Your line should look like this:

«RulePhoneNumberLabel»«RuleBarPhoneFax»«RuleFaxNumberLabel»

With the spaces in the pipe rule, if it returns "" and the other rules return "" the line will be empty then will be suppressed.

I was doing some more testing and run into a couple of different issues. If i end up using just three of the variables it does not work. I entered in phone and fax and a direct. There was no vertical bar separating the phone and fax and there was a bar in front of the direct number. It works when all number are entered or either one on each line. phone and cell. Any suggestions

Archived