Anchoring a signature to the body copy of a letter

brobinson

Hello,

I am trying to create a drag and drop graphic rule that will insert a particular persons signature depending on the department of the company said person works. I was successful in doing that, however, I would like to make it more of an in-line graphic so that it moves up and down with the body of the letter. Somebody showed me how to do this using javascript for an inline graphic, but the problem with that was I had to have a field in my data that stated the file name of the signature I wanted to pull. I am trying to set this up so that I do not have to add any data to the data file as it will be a weekly ordeal and the less I have to do to the data when it comes in, the better. Is there a way I can do this?

Thank you!

You aren't required to put the file name in your data file for inline graphics. Assuming you've added the file as a resource for your drag-and-drop graphic rule, you can use that as an inline graphic by creating a rule that returns it (below) and inserting it in your text frame:

return Resource("Your File").content;

Make sure "treat returned strings as tagged text" is checked.

If you just want to use a static file name for the inline graphic, then all you need to do is specify that file name in the <graphic> tag that your rule returns. This is exactly what the "signature" rule in the Cell Phone Tutorial that's installed with FusionPro does:

return "<graphic file=signature.jpg>";

The signature is variable, depending on who is signing it. The letter is actually the same between the two companies, just one line of variable text in the last paragraph changes, and then the signature and signature block will change. So I will need to designate which signature pulls when, correct??

The signature is variable, depending on who is signing it. The letter is actually the same between the two companies, just one line of variable text in the last paragraph changes, and then the signature and signature block will change. So I will need to designate which signature pulls when, correct??

If the signature is variable, then yes, you will need to use a variable in the rule. If you already have a Graphic rule (either a Drag-and-Drop rule or some other kind), then you can use that other rule's result in your Text rule, something like this:

return Rule("Drag-and-Drop Rule").content;