script for output file name

MikeCarenter

i need help i use fusion pro to create a template for efi store front

We have jobs coming through the store front and all is fine with one exception The files are all named the same this is a business card order page so we have 50 files with the same name isnt working for me so I need a script like

new_file_name='BusinessCard_'+Field("Firstname")+'_'+Field("Lastname")+'.pdf'; FusionPro.Composition.outputFileName = new_file_name;

return 0;

but doesnt seem to work

i need help i use fusion pro to create a template for efi store front

We have jobs coming through the store front and all is fine with one exception The files are all named the same this is a business card order page so we have 50 files with the same name isnt working for me so I need a script like

new_file_name='BusinessCard_'+Field("Firstname")+'_'+Field("Lastname")+'.pdf'; FusionPro.Composition.outputFileName = new_file_name;

return 0;

but doesnt seem to work

First, where are you putting this code? Setting FusionPro.Composition.outputFileName only works in the OnNewOutputFile callback rule, and only if you are chunking the output to multiple output files.

Also, does it work when you compose the job locally, in Acrobat? I'm pretty sure that web-to-print applications like DSF disallow renaming output files (and chunking). The reason they do this should be obvious: the web-to-print app needs to control the location of the output file, otherwise it won't know where it was generated and won't be able to locate it.

then can you think of a way to have fusion pro name the pdf file using the first and last name??

Yes, by checking the "Output to multiple files" box on the Output tab of the Composition Settings dialog, and setting FusionPro.Composition.outputFileName in the OnNewOutputFile callback rule.

I would be able to help you better if you could help me to help you by answering my questions. Again:

First, where are you putting this code?

And:

Also, does it work when you compose the job locally, in Acrobat?

Based on the answers to those questions, I might be able to suggest something more specific to help you.

• 4 months later...

Hi Dan,

I'm trying to do something similar here by placing the FusionPro.Composition.outputFileName into an OnNewOutputFile callback rule. When I validate the rule, I receive the error:

Type error: FusionPro.Composition.outputFileName is not a function

This is what I'm placing inside the callback rule:

return FusionPro.Composition.outputFileName(Field("LastName") +'_'+Field("FirstName"));

I thought at first that something may be wrong with my syntax but that usually returns a syntax error...

This is what I'm placing inside the callback rule:

return FusionPro.Composition.outputFileName(Field("LastName") +'_'+Field("FirstName"));

I thought at first that something may be wrong with my syntax but that usually returns a syntax error...

There is something wrong with your syntax. It's that "FusionPro.Composition.outputFileName is not a function."

Try writing it like this:

FusionPro.Composition.outputFileName = Field("LastName") + '_' + Field("FirstName");

You'll probably also want to include an extension for the file name:

FusionPro.Composition.outputFileName = Field("LastName") + '_' + Field("FirstName") [color="Red"]+ '.' + FusionPro.Composition.outputFormatExtension[/color];

• 5 years later...

Is there a way to have Fusion Pro name the document with only the first letter of the first name? I've tried using

FusionPro.Composition.outputFileName = Field("KEY1") + substr(Field("PFNAME"),1,1) + Field("PCIFID") + Field("PDDATE") + ".pdf";

but get a substr is not defined error.