FusionPro windows and palettes keep moving!

For some reason, FusionPro 6 has a mind of its own.

The FusionPro tool palettes move around and resize for no apparent reason. And this is annoying because I am anal when it comes to my workspace. (and for what it's worth I think Adobe did a BRILLIANT job of designing the tool palette system in CS4)

Also, every time I use FusionPro (on my Mac at least) the window keeps maximizing. Why???? this is also annoying because by scroll bars and part of my document disappears behind my tool palettes.

Can this be fixed at some point? It obviously doesnt prevent me from doing my work but it is very annoying.

Thx :-)

Please be more specific. Are you talking about the FusionPro palettes in Acrobat or in InDesign? Precisely which window "keeps maximizing?" A screen shot would be helpful. Please also be more specific about the versions of FusionPro, your operating system, and Acrobat (and InDesign and QuarkXPress if that's relevant).

Hi Dan,

I am referring to the FusionPro palettes in Acrobat.

Here's what I have:

Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Latest version of Java

FusionPro Designer 6.0P1e

Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.1.3

The screen that keeps maximizing is the actual document itself (i.e. the PDF file). I was hoping someone else would read this post and say "Hey that happens to me too!"

Well, some of this happens to me. I think there are several issues here, not all of which are related to FusionPro. Which is okay, since we're in the "off topic" subforum, but in this thread's title you did mention only FP specifically, so I want to make sure we're not getting blamed for Adobe's problems. :) If you're new to both Acrobat 9 and FusionPro 6, it might not be obvious which new issues you're seeing are related to which product.

The FusionPro tool palettes move around and resize for no apparent reason. And this is annoying because I am anal when it comes to my workspace.

Again, can you be more specific? When do the palettes move around and resize? When you quit and relaunch Acrobat? When you switch documents? Does it happen sporadically or is it reproducible?

For me, the FusionPro palettes remember their positions, whether I close down and restart Acrobat, switch documents, or anything else.

(and for what it's worth I think Adobe did a BRILLIANT job of designing the tool palette system in CS4)

Well, that depends on your point of view. If you're a developer like me who's been maintaining plug-ins for both Acrobat and InDesign over the course of the last few years, it's been extremely frustrating dealing with the changes in the palette APIs from one version to the next, especially since Adobe purposefully dropped their palette API in Acrobat because it didn't mesh with InDesign's, and yet the two APIs are still incompatible, even in the happy family that is CS4. So Adobe's official advice to developers now is to use third-party GUI APIs for custom palettes in Acrobat, which of course are even less in line with the look-and-feel and behavior of Adobe's own Acrobat palettes, let alone with InDesign's.

(Then, of course, there's the whole issue of Adobe removing support for MDI on Windows in Acrobat 9, even though almost every third-party GUI API expects the mainframe window of the application to remain unchanged, but that's another show.)

Also, every time I use FusionPro (on my Mac at least) the window keeps maximizing. Why???? this is also annoying because by scroll bars and part of my document disappears behind my tool palettes.

This one I do see. If I have more than one document open in Acrobat, when I switch between them, sometimes the document windows are maximized ("zoomed" in Mac parlance) sporadically. Again, though, that's Adobe's bug, not ours. Usually if I give it a couple more "Command-tilde"s to switch back-and-forth again, the document's original view will be restored. Switching documents with Exposé (usually F10) seems to be more reliable than switching with "Command-tilde" for me as well.

You might want to try fiddling with the Preferences in Acrobat, specifically the "Restore last view settings when reopening documents" check box on the Documents tab. You might want to RTM on the other controls on that tab, as well as on the Page Display tab.

Can this be fixed at some point? It obviously doesnt prevent me from doing my work but it is very annoying.

I'm still not sure exactly what we can fix here. Again, the issue with the document windows themselves is Adobe's bug, not ours.

Archived