Desktop not connecting to Direct

Duake

I have a problem with connecting FP Desktop to FP Direct. This is how everything is set up:

Workstation IP: 192.168.32.7

Server IP: 192.168.32.5

Workgroup name is the same for both.

Created username and password for Direct to work correctly.

Shared the Server's HDDs so only that user can access them.

I go to "Modify" after clicking to set up Scheduler and choose the Server name.

FP Direct monitor is running.

FP Desktop fails to connect to Direct.

Not quite sure what the problem is here. I can see the Server, mapped the HDDs to the Workstation, but can't connect to it through FP Desktop.

Any help is appreciated. If we can't get it to work, for whatever reason, I'm thinking we'll have to get rid of it and just use Desktop.

David

• 1 year later...

The benefit of the forum is totally circumvented. C'mon Printable!

So now I come along and find no answer - and I'll call support and tie up one of the Response Team members and take up her time as well. This is where a follow-up from the Moderator would be well served - even better, provide a tutorial, a link to the manual that would assist or a brief summary ...something?

The benefit of the forum is totally circumvented. C'mon Printable!

So now I come along and find no answer - and I'll call support and tie up one of the Response Team members and take up her time as well. This is where a follow-up from the Moderator would be well served - even better, provide a tutorial, a link to the manual that would assist or a brief summary ...something?

Assist with what exactly? There is documentation for FP Direct; if you've installed it, it's in your Manuals folder as "ServerFPDGuide.pdf".

As a moderator, I would suggest that if you're having a specific problem, please ask a specific question, preferably in a new thread.

However, keep in mind that issues like this, especially with distributed client/server apps like FP Direct, tend to be very specific to a particular user's network and machine configuration. It's extremely unlikely that whatever issue you're having is the same as the issue that the original poster was seeing, and it's even more unlikely that the solution is the same. And even if it is, you and the OP probably don't want to share detailed information about your respective network configurations in a public forum. This is exactly why we have Support, to help with issues like this which fall outside of the scope of what this User Forum can help with. Specifically, FP Direct and Server customers have access to Support to assist them with configuration.

The "benefit of this forum" is for users to be able to answer each other's questions. This forum is not a substitute or proxy for Support, and there's no guarantee that your questions will be answered here by anyone, Printable employees or anyone else. That's what Support is for.

And in this case, Support worked exactly like it's supposed to and helped David to resolve his issue. But again, that conversation, and the information about David's configuration, are private. If he wishes to share that, it's up to him. Although since he said that "this thread can be deleted," presumably he doesn't want to do that.

Finally, anyone can delete his or her own posts, or any thread which they have started. You don't need a moderator to do that for you.

Alex Marshall of the Support Team provided exactly what was needed in the following content - in my situation, the section on ports was were I had error in my setup. I hope this will help someone else in the future:

Instructions for Setting up FP Direct on the Target (Scheduler)(Windows XP and Server 2003 supported)

Make sure the computer is on the domain

• Right-click on My Computer and select Properties.
  • Verify that the computer is on the domain and is NOT in a Workgroup

Open Ports

• In the Control Panel, open Windows Firewall.
  • Click on the Exceptions tab.
  • Click the ‘Add Port’ button.
  • Add the following ports one at a time: (suggestion: make the name the same as the port number)

TCP

i.8755

ii.8756

iii.8758

iv.8080

v.80 (Win XP only)

UDP

i.12083

ii.12093

• Click OK and restart the computer.

Administrator Account

• In the control panel, open the User Accounts.
  • Ensure that there is an account listed that is a part of the domain AND has Administrator permissions. If not, continue with the next step.
  • Add a new user to the computer with Administrator permissions. If your own account is a member of the domain, you can use that one.

Install

• Install software with FP Direct serial number. The installer download is located here: http://www.printable.com/downloads/fusionpro
  • At the end of the installation, click yes in the “Configure as Scheduler” message.
  • In the FP Direct Configuration dialog, click on the General Setup tab.
  • Create a directory to store the files on your local system.
  • Add your (administrator) username and password that you set up in the previous section.
  • Enter the email account that the system will work through. This is not the email account that will receive notice that a job has completed
  • For the SMTP Server, enter the path for your outgoing email server, ex: exchange.YourDomain.com
  • Click Apply.
  • Click on the Queue Configuration tab.
  • Click Add to add a queue and give it a name.
  • Click Add to enter the target machine name. (Note: This can be the same machine as the scheduler).
  • Optional: Enter search paths for external files and/or paths to hot folders.
  • Click OK.
  • Close the install screen.

Using FusionPro Direct

• Please reference the ServerFPDGuide.pdf user manual that was installed to the Manuals folder in the installation directory. The chapter called “Configuring FP Direct” has a section called “Running FusionPro Direct Jobs” on page 39 that will instruct you on how to compose through FP Direct.

Assist with what exactly? There is documentation for FP Direct; if you've installed it, it's in your Manuals folder as "ServerFPDGuide.pdf".

As a moderator, I would suggest that if you're having a specific problem, please ask a specific question, preferably in a new thread.

Well Dan, I guess I was hoping for assistance with regard to what the thread is titled. If the forum is intended for users to gain private answers, would e-mailing support be more appropriate? Isn't a thread of a forum, and a forum as a whole, intended as reference material? Isn't reference material with incomplete or no content of less value than if it were complete? Wouldn't a tidy forum eliminate multiple threads of the same topic as much as possible to avoid multi-threading of Q and A for those who come after?

Regarding the privacy issue, certainly no one is asking for admin passwords here, simply a few check points to a general question where the answers are either not in the manual or were in fact missed by the reader.

Complete and informed forums are a benefit to a Support Staff and a company as a whole building community spirit among the user-base supporting brand loyalty and informing the company of potential improvements that can be made to software, training material and manual content.

We are all friends here and I am a customer. As a moderator, I would expect less guff and more solution assistance from you. You have no need to expect anything but prudent payment from your customer, and that has been done.

Archived