Cut & Stack Without a Data Source

• 6 months later...

This works to N up but not cut and stack.

i have a common job, 5-10 sets of business cards, this time 7 sets that we normally just N up to 21-UP.

so when composing i run records 1-21 (when i do this with cut and stack its all wrong). it just does the same as without stack on, but gives me 93 pages of it.

If i do it the way it should be done 7x 13 sheets = 273 / 21 = 93 should be the stack number.

can anyone help with this? no data, just straight imposing.

This works to N up but not cut and stack.

i have a common job, 5-10 sets of business cards, this time 7 sets that we normally just N up to 21-UP.

so when composing i run records 1-21 (when i do this with cut and stack its all wrong). it just does the same as without stack on, but gives me 93 pages of it.

If i do it the way it should be done 7x 13 sheets = 273 / 21 = 93 should be the stack number.

can anyone help with this? no data, just straight imposing.

This is very hard (at least for me) to visualize in the abstract. Can you post a sample job which demonstrates the issue?

the only way i can get it to stack is to manully repeat each card 500 times, so it just N-UPs.

i need a way JScript to make it repeat each card X # of times.

its not my software when i run postcards CUT AND STACK it works fine, its only when i am using it to impose only.

i am on skype if you want to msg me "methogod"

samples would not upload... now when we have to cut cards we have to use slip sheets, intstead we should be able to cut and stack, i know its something simple.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xzeturhy5qskr9o/SS_TEST.zip

I need a rule, that will let me tell it how many times to reapeate each record, since there is no data.

You're already telling it how many times to repeat each record, on the Input tab of the Composition Settings dialog. In the template you uploaded, it's set to compose from record 1 to record 2000. So that's 2000 repeats. (You could do this in OnJobStart by setting FusionPro.Composition.startRecordNumber and FusionPro.Composition.endRecordNumber instead, but setting it in the dialog works just as well.)

And you have your imposition set for 21-up (3 across and 7 down) on each sheet, so 2000 repeats of those four pages is 8000 pages, divided by 21 pages per sheet, that gives you about 380 pages, which matches the output you uploaded.

But I'm not sure where you're getting the numbers like "7x 13 sheets = 273 / 21 = 93" in your previous post.

Anyway, I'm still not sure I understand exactly how you want the output to be different than it is now.

You can't telescope (or cut-and-stack) a FusionPro document that contains 4 pages. It will always collate those pages.

You need to set up a 1 page FusionPro template that will pull in each page of that PDF however many times (should be the quantity of each card).

I haven't tested the code below myself but I think you'll want to do something like this:

OnJobStart:

FusionPro.Composition.composeAllRecords = false;
FusionPro.Composition.endRecordNumber = 4; // Number of cards you have

OnRecordStart:

FusionPro.Composition.repeatRecordCount = 500; // Quantity of each card

var card = CreateResource("path/to/resource/YOURPDFNAME.pdf",'graphic',true);
card.countpages;
card.pagenumber = CurrentRecordNumber();

FindGraphicFrame("YOURGRAPHICFRAMENAME").SetGraphic(card);

tried it, maybe didnt do it right..

see if you can figure it out, go it to go as far as imposing.. then gave an error but output blank records. like its not turning the pdf into a graphic i set.

Then i took out the directory, just just put in the name of the pdf file ("PRINTJOB.pdf")

that even let me preview the 1st card, looked correct.

and both callbacks validated before running.

tried running with infinite stack, but that didnt work, bunch of errors.

here are the results and files..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uwdda8hmsg0gclm/STEP%27S%20CODE%20TEST%20NOT%20WORKING.zip

• 2 years later...

How to I define a single sided card to a two sided card... as i need the cards to DUPLEX TUMBLE... which makes it not work correctly...

The FPI is setup right its 5 sets of cards but 2 sides to each card. I tired to add a second page but then i have to split the fronts/backs...any easy way...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qrgdni3fbkx0pk/CK%20CUT%20AND%20STACK.zip?dl=0

How to I define a single sided card to a two sided card... as i need the cards to DUPLEX TUMBLE... which makes it not work correctly...

If you want the imposition to duplex, your template should create 2 pages per record. In this case, the template should be two pages: the first page containing a graphic frame to display the front of the card and the second page containing a graphic frame to display the back of the card.

I tired to add a second page but then i have to split the fronts/backs...any easy way...

I have no idea what that sentence means. Why do you have to split the fronts/backs if you add a second page? Are all of the fronts/backs in the same PDF? If so, you're making 5 sets of cards - not 10.

I think you should be able to do something like this to get the template to create a duplexed card:

OnJobStart

cards = 5; // Number of cards you have

FusionPro.Composition.endRecordNumber = cards;

OnRecordStart

var pages = [];

cards = cards*2;
for (var i=0; i<cards; i=i+2)
   pages.push([i+1,i+2]);

FusionPro.Composition.repeatRecordCount = cards;
var card = CreateResource("CKteamBusinesscards.pdf",'graphic',true);
var [front,back] = pages[FusionPro.Composition.inputRecordNumber-1].map(function(s){ card.pagenumber = s; return card.content;});

FindGraphicFrame("ckcard").SetGraphic(front);
FindGraphicFrame("ckcard_back").SetGraphic(back);

Note that in the code above the graphic frame on the second page is named "ckcard_back." Also, understand that I haven't verified that this code works, it's more of an example than a complete solution.

where do i define number of time each set (card) repeats?

Marked in red:

OnJobStart

[color="Red"]cards = 5; // Number of cards you have[/color]

FusionPro.Composition.endRecordNumber = cards;

OnRecordStart

var pages = [];

cards = cards*2;
   pages.push([i+1,i+2]);

[color="red"]FusionPro.Composition.repeatRecordCount = cards;[/color]
var card = CreateResource("CKteamBusinesscards.pdf",'graphic',true);
var [front,back] = pages[FusionPro.Composition.inputRecordNumber-1].map(function(s){ card.pagenumber = s; return card.content;});

FindGraphicFrame("ckcard").SetGraphic(front);
FindGraphicFrame("ckcard_back").SetGraphic(back);

still getting out of memory...

attached is the last revision...

seems to be stuck in some type of loop....

I can't check the code with the template you've supplied because you didn't include the PDF that you're trying to pull in. You also haven't included any message log or really any feedback other than "it didn't work." As I said in my last post, I was merely trying to give you an idea of how to accomplish duplexing in this scenario and explain why it wasn't working as you had it set up originally.

As far as it being "stuck in some type of loop," there's only one loop (a for loop) and I don't see why it would be failing but, like I said, I didn't test it. You could always try to put some "Print" commands in the code and check the message log to debug what's going on:

pages.push([i+1,i+2]);
[color="Red"]Print(pages.join('<br>\n'));[/color]

The above will should print the contents of the 'pages' array which is being created in the 'for' loop. The 'pages' array should contain the page numbers that will be assigned to the 'front' and 'back' variables as the record repeats:

1,2 // repeat 1: front: 1, back: 2

3,4 // repeat 2: front: 3, back: 4